raw histogram

qDslrDashboard feature request, ideas
pimb

raw histogram

Post by pimb »

I'm not sure if it has been asked before, but I would really like to be able to see the histogram of the raw file, after shooting since this is usually different from the jpg histogram. It would make ETTR somewhat easier :)

Cheers,
Pim
GonzoG

Re: raw histogram

Post by GonzoG »

It cannot be done. Histogram can be done only for images and RAW is not an image. It becomes image after development.
mexican

Post by mexican »

Try to use a picture style (Canon) or picture control (Nikon) with least possible contrast added as a workaround.
Some newer Nikon cameras have a picture control profile called "Flat" which would do the trick. If it's not available for your camera I think both brand has a profile called "Natural" which would be quite close to the requirement.

Or use a custom picture control - either decrease contrast (using in-camera customization) or create your own picture control profile using the picture control utility. This applies to Nikon cameras but I think a similar possibility should be available for other brands as well.
desertstar

Post by desertstar »

Hallo
the raw format also like any other image format contains information about the brightness of a "pixel". It would even be "easy" because in a color histogram you do not need to demosaic the picture you just have to scale the green channel normaly by 2.
I see it more as a problem, that there are many many different raw formats.

@gonzog: You are right that it is not a normal image format where a pixel is defined with rgb and the resolution of the different colors is different. But as far as I know the same is true for jpg and it is only a kind of compression method.

@all:
The benefit of implementing a raw histogram is that you can still see the picture as you want it to come out (this is normaly not the case if you use a flat profile) and thereby have a better judgment how to take the picture while you can still judge if you blow out the highlights. (For "hard" ettr the first benefit might be diminished because the picture will normaly be much brighter than the result you want to see)