Focus stacking with Sigma 105 2.8 OS, Nikon D800E and Kenko extension tube

qDslrDashbord error reports
hdphoto

Focus stacking with Sigma 105 2.8 OS, Nikon D800E and Kenko extension tube

Post by hdphoto »

Hello!

I have a problem with focus stacking when adding an automatic kenko extension tube between a nikon d800e and a sigma 105mm 2.8 OS.
Controlling the AF of the lens works fine, but if i start a focus stacking series with more than 5 images, the app changes the focus point only for the first 5 images, and after that the stacking series continues, but the focus does not move further and remains on the same point until the series finishes.
without the kenko extension tube all works fine, even with more than 30 focus stacking images.
using the android app i think it is version 0.3.4 on a samsung galaxy s3.
i also tried the same with the macOS app, but with that the focus stacking does not work at all, the camera changes to all focus points within the range (even for more than 5 images), but the camera shutter is not triggered at any stop and no images are captured.

any suggestions how to work around this?

i am using the sigma 105mm with a raynox 250 ancillary lens and therefore i want to use the extension tube to increase the edge performance and remove the slight vignetting of this combination.

the amount of extension tubes used has no impact, the problem occurs with one extension tube and also with three extension tubes mounted.

regards,
dominik
hdphoto

Re: Focus stacking with Sigma 105 2.8 OS, Nikon D800E and Kenko extension tube

Post by hdphoto »

Update:

The problem still occurs in version 3.5.3, the latest version currently available.
Can anybody help?
Do you need some more information?
The extension tubes are the following:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B002VF ... UTF8&psc=1

Regards,
Dominik