Canon 70D wifi with iPad

qDslrDashbord error reports
cosmicrelish

Canon 70D wifi with iPad

Post by cosmicrelish »

I just got the ipad version the other day and tested the LR timelapse feature last night. Everything seemed to work great with the automatic holy grail adjustments. I seem to loose the wifi signal frequently when using the app. If I use EOS app I don't see the drop in wifi. Also, I had the ipad settings on not letting the screen go to sleep and I guess the OS made it do so. Full battery charge. When this happened I lost the signal and therefore the camera just kept taking pictures at the last setting.

Any idea why the wifi is dropping out? I'll try it on the android today to check.
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: Canon 70D wifi with iPad

Post by hubaiz »

Was the 'Keep screen on' checked in qDD?
Right now I'm doing a test with 2 DSLR connected to MR3040 controller with LRT on a Nexus7 (2012)
Will see to repeat the test also with the iPad Mini 2 to see if any problems.
cosmicrelish

Post by cosmicrelish »

Yes, the keep screen active was marked. I did notice I have to do the ios trick of connecting to wifi and then disconnect then reconnect in order for the LR Timelase option to get a preview and for auto holy grail to work. When I disconnected I noticed that I had to go back into ios wifi settings and reselect the camera wifi. I guess it dropped out and since I was close to a trusted network the ipad switched over to that one. Once I reconnected to camera wifi the LR Timelapse option worked great. I left the ipad next to the camera for the test and cam back a while later to see that the app worked as planned and changed the shutter speed perfectly however the iPad was now in sleep mode. When I turned it back on I was once again not connected to the camera wifi and the camera had been shooting at the same shutter speed and was no longer being affected by the app to change the settings.

I'll try and disable the auto off feature of the iPad and get away from any other trusted networks and test again. I just noticed that I was having to go into wifi settings on iPad multiple times to reconnect to the camera for some reason.
cosmicrelish

Post by cosmicrelish »

New problem today. I was trying a sunset shoot on the beach using the iPad. I had set it to never turn off as well as clicking the always on button inside the app. About 30 minutes into the shoot the app crashed. When I started it again nothing would work. No buttons would click on/off nothing would scroll. So I force quit. Even restarted the iPad once. App would not respond anymore. So I uninstalled it but am out of wifi range to re download it.

Fortunately I have an android phone to continue the shoot. I must have something set incorrectly though as it is set to ramp every .33ev of change and yet it's waiting to change when exposure drops to -2 on the meter.