How to choose where to save raw files + issues

qDslrDashbord error reports
nielsgeode

How to choose where to save raw files + issues

Post by nielsgeode »

I discovered that a long-press of the capture button changes it's color to red (or back to white if you long-press twice). According to the manual, a red icon means that files are saved locally. My Sony a6300 is connected via wifi to my desktop pc which is standing directly next to the camera in a studio setup for macro photography. The picture quality is set to raw+jpg and I am experimenting with the new camera and software so I can do focus stacking.

Several questions/issues arrise:

-Currently I'm running a 700 image stack and only every x frames is actually saved locally, the camera takes much more frames than I get on my hard drive. Could it be an issue with the transfer rate? When I monitor the traffic of my wifi adapter (which is not used for internet) I see that the speed constantly fluctuates between 100 and 300 kByte/s.
- Is it possible to transfer raw files locally during a stack or will this be completely impossible due to transfer rate?
- If not, is it possible to transfer them via wifi (using the wifi of the camera and qdslrdashboard) after a stack?
- Would I be better off with a eyefi (wifi) card?

Thanks!
Niels
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: How to choose where to save raw files + issues

Post by hubaiz »

On Sony cameras using the wireless connection (Smart remote control) there is no way to download the captured RAW file, only the JPG file and you can choose to get the original size or a 2M resized image.
nielsgeode

Post by nielsgeode »

Thank :)

In the meantime, I am experimenting with using a usb connection with tethered live view. Sony's free "Remote Camera Control" allows settings adjustment + capture, but does not show live view. Capture One 10 Pro does, but is not cheap. qDslrdashboard is free and does show live view via wifi, but I have been unable to get it working via usb :(

Is it possible to get live view via usb using qDslrdashboard?
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

USB and wireless connection is not the same on Sony.
The wireless connection uses the 'Smart remote control' camera application and a communication protocol defined by Sony.

The USB connection uses the PTP connection protocol.
nielsgeode

Post by nielsgeode »

It makes sense to use different protocols for wireless and usb. For some reason I can't get usb tethered live view on my sony a6300 working whereas it works fine using wifi. Is it because I'm doing something wrong or because usb tethered live view is not supported with qDslrdashboard and the sony a6300 because apparently it only works with Capture One?
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

Only wireless connection (using 'Smart remote control') is supported for the Sony cameras with qDslrDashboard.