D300s focus issue... - Answered

qDslrDashbord error reports
andyfindlay

D300s focus issue... - Answered

Post by andyfindlay »

Hi,

I'm using V3.5.5 on 64 bit Linux Mint 18.2

Everything works fine with my D810 - both USB-connected and wirelessly with TP-Link MR3040.

Almost everything works on my D300s - the exception is that the focus point gets reset to the centre and the camera re-focuses whenever I take a photo. Before taking the photo I can choose a focus point anywhere and the camera focuses just fine. Only trouble is when you take the Photo the focus point moves back to centre and you can hear the autofocus work just before the capture.

I saw the D300 focus post below (17Dec 2017 by kiro) and I've checked the settings you suggested there.

Any ideas?
Last edited by andyfindlay on 01 Feb 2018, 16:31, edited 1 time in total.
I usually shoot RAW but the photos always look half-baked!
andyfindlay

Re: D300s focus issue...

Post by andyfindlay »

This might be useful to know:

Both A and B components of the firmware are the latest version (1.02).
andyfindlay

Post by andyfindlay »

Hi Hubaiz,

I have discovered a bit more about this problem:

The area that it re-focuses on is not necessarily the centre - it is wherever you last manually set the focus point using the camera controls (rather than dslrdashboard).

Also, you state in the user manual (section on the AF button):
Note: on Nikon DSLR the camera will always try to auto focus before capture, the only exception is when the focus mode property is set to MF (manual focus). By default in application the auto focus before capture is disabled, to solve this the application will set the focus modeproperty to MF (manual focus) before capture and after the capture is finished it will restore the old focus mode property value.
It is this switch to MF before capture which doesn't seem to be working on the D300s, so the camera always refocuses using it's own last focus point.

This works fine on my D810.
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

Yes as the D300 models don't have that property and qDslrDashboard can't set the focus mode to MF before capture.
This focus mode property is introduced in newer Nikon models.
andyfindlay

Post by andyfindlay »

Thanks, Hubaiz,

So no hope of a fix then. :|

I guess I'll have to try out the Auto-area AF mode - I've never used it but it's probably my only chance other than manually setting the focus point for each photo (which kinda defeats the point of tethered shooting).

Cheers!
Andy
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: D300s focus issue... - Answered

Post by hubaiz »

On D300, D300 and think D3 you should try and set the 'Dynamic AF on AF-S' and the 'Dynamic AF on AF-C" to release.
Not sure if that will prevent the camera to focus before capture.