Canon ESO 5D MK4 and EOS 80D focus stacking not works

qDslrDashbord error reports
jupp

Canon ESO 5D MK4 and EOS 80D focus stacking not works

Post by jupp »

Hello,
i had checked several programms for focus stacking purpose and all of the lacks with the 80d and 5D mark IV.
The situation is similar and looks like an incompatibility of control the auto focus. The manual moving to a focus point is not able. It' starts moving to the next point, the lense turn to the new position and immediate moves back to the old position.
The auto focus seems to be active and move the lense back the the focus point where the auto focus in realview is positioned.
I had switched the one-shot focus on and the camera is in manual mode. the delay and other justifications are not helps to solve the problem.
It looks strange if the stack is running. Every picture looks similar. you can see and hear the moving of the lense focus motor - forward and backward.
Well, this is not n exclusive problem of qDD. "Helicon Remote" does'nt works too, but it's able to move the focus manualy, one time. It moves the the fix-points after every moving forward. At capture start, it's the same situation. I guess canon has changed the internal behavior in the newer camera models. I had worte an error report to them to get more info about this issue.
I had used an older EOS 600D to checkout if this is not a problem of the lenses i use. This are Sigma 105mm DG Macro OS HSM and Sigma 70mm DG Macro. The configuration with the eos 600D works fine and as expected.
I had checked the V3.5.6beta too - no luck.

Can anybody helps me to solve this

Jupp
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: Canon ESO 5D MK4 and EOS 80D focus stacking not works

Post by hubaiz »

Check that continuous focus is disabled.
jupp

Re: Canon ESO 5D MK4 and EOS 80D focus stacking not works

Post by jupp »

hubaiz wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 07:17 Check that continuous focus is disabled.
Hello,

to clear the definition of "continous focus" in term of Canon:"continuous autofocus for moving subjects called AI Servo AF".
I don't use this mode for macro purposes. The only option i have to select with the EOS 80D and EOS 5D Mark IV is the "One-Shot" AF.
The camera operates in "M" manual mode only.
A friend had check this scene and Helios remote in combination with an EOS 77D and also no luck with the similar issue.

I am unsure about your compatibility list of supported camera brands and types. Did you ever testet this with the newer Canon EOS models?

Well, all of the newer issues like the revised api to readout the shutter/mirrorcount and the newer RAW structure of the 5D-Mk4, are not further describted.

There are changes in the API and i assume that canon has revised or implemented some newer API's to do the job, that older cameras has done before and extended them to support the new capabilities.

I would happy if Helios Remote will work.