LRTimelapse ramping not working for sunrise w. auto direction

qDslrDashbord error reports
mexican

LRTimelapse ramping not working for sunrise w. auto direction

Post by mexican »

Hi Zoltan,

I have couple of bugs to report again. Both of them are regarding the LRTimelapse mode.

1) When using Auto Holy Grail and the direction is set to Sunrise and Auto Direction is active, the application doesn't react to increased brightness of the scene. I tried to play around with the Auto Direction percentage but it did not have any effect. I tried it in conditions when the floating average was like 10x the reference value. The image was overexposed and as soon as I turned Auto Direction off, the shutter speed (or ISO) started to move in the right direction.
In sunset mode, the behavior is as expected with Auto Direction set to both on and off.
I face this issue only on iOS. On iOS however I'm still using the 0.2.5 version of the app (vs 0.2.6 on Android), but the changelog doesn't mention anything about a bug like this to be fixed.

2) When the Auto Holy Grail mode is active and I hit the X button in the top right corner, the application returns to the connection screen rather than to the device screen. I would expect the same behavior as when the Auto Holy Grail mode is turned off.

Regards

Juraj
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: LRTimelapse ramping not working for sunrise w. auto direction

Post by hubaiz »

Thanks for reporting.
Will see about 1) could be that it was fixed with V0.2.6 (what camera do you use? )

2) yes, it will return to the connection screen so that the user can't change some settings that would interfere with LRT. Say you enter the device screen and press the capture button or start a custom bracketing.
mexican

Post by mexican »

I'm using Nikon D750
mexican

Post by mexican »

Hi, today the 0.2.7 version finally became available in the AppStore and the first thing I tried out was to check if this bug has been resolved.
Unfortunately it's not the case. The behavior is all the same.

I started timelapse in a room with lights turned off. Took one picture and set it as a reference. App was set in sunrise mode with auto direction turned on.
Then I started interval timer in QDD. After taking couple of pictures I switched the light on in the room. Even if the floating average scene brightness changed form about 5500 to 70000, QDD kept using the same exposure values until I turned auto direction off.

Let me know if you need additional feedback which will help you to resolve the issue.
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

Just tell me the params you used (shutter speed, ISO, slowest shutter speed, max ISO, etc). Maybe a screenshot.
Then I will see to make the same experiment.
mexican

Post by mexican »

Here you can find some screenshots

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eizacpux8vgl ... _Fn5a?dl=0

I started at ISO400, f/5.6 and 2s shutter speed, ISO range 100 to 3200, slowest shutter speed 3s. Everything can actually be seen on the screenshot.
Before I turned light on, the shutter speed changed to 3s for a while probably due to some fluctuation in the ambient light level, which is correct since auto direction is turned on.
On the last screenshot you can see overexposed picture while the shutter speed is still at 3s.

Interestingly, after I took the screenshots I made one more attempt. During this attempt ISO was lowered once from 400 to 250 but remained at this level for about 20 subsequent frames. Then I stopped the experiment.
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

Thanks, will try to reproduce.
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

Just one more question what interval did you use and did you used the qdd timer or an external one?
mexican

Post by mexican »

I used internal qdd timer with 10s interval.
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

Managed to reproduce and find the error. It was a wrong comparison.
It will only happen if 'Auto direction' is enabled and direction is 'Sunrise'
Will see to release a fix but only somewhere after next week.