Wifi Problems

qDslrDashbord error reports
Shayman

Wifi Problems

Post by Shayman »

I've recently installed qDslrDashboard (V0.2.9) after uninstalling the old google play version. The new version works with no issues when I connect my Nikon D3200 or D610 via a USB OTG cable to my Motorola Moto G (Android 5.0.2), but I can hardly ever get it to connect via a wireless link.

I have a WU-1a for the D3200 and use a TP-Link MR3040 (with 'factory version 2' firmware update downloaded from dslrdashboard.info and installed as per the youtube video) to connect the D610 (or the D3200). I don't try to use both cameras simultaneously, even though I believe this is a supported option. I have got both methods to work on a few occasions out of around 50+ attempts, but on the majority of occasions qDD fails to connect to the camera. The phone's wifi information is showing that it is connected to the WU-1a if I am using that, or to the TP-Link if I am using that, as I check this before opening qDD.

If I'm using the WU-1a, I press the 'Nikon Wifi' button and qDD shows 'Tring to connect to Nikon wireless DSLR' then 'Failed to connect to Nikon wireless DSLR' and it shows exactly the same messages following a long press with the default IP address.

When using the TP-Link, I press the 'network' button (next to the USB) and get 'Searching for DDServer' followed by nothing and if I do a long press and leave it at the default 192.168.1.1, I see 'Getting DSLR device list from DDServer at: 192.168.1.1 and that is followed by nothing. On the rare occasion that it has connected, it very quickly brought up a message saying 'Connecting to D610', or something similar, and once connected it seemed to work well until I finished the session.

I've tried a few things like uninstalling / reinstalling qDD and even tried the latest beta (v0.3 Beta9), but that didn't help. I've tried changing the TP-Link switch from AP (which I think is the one it should be set to?) to WISP or 3G/4G, but that didn't help. The only other clue I picked up from another message on this board is that I've rarely been able to access the TP-Link router 'admin pages' at 192.168.1.1 using chrome on my phone when connected to it by wifi - I just get a 'connection_timed_out' error. Would this indicate that there is a problem with the wifi connection between Phone and TP-Link, even though the phone indicates that it is connected to the TP-Link with good signal, etc.?

Does anyone have any idea what may be the problem and how I might go about troubleshooting / resolving it? Thanks for any help / advice you can give.
Shayman

Re: Wifi Problems

Post by Shayman »

Just to answer my own query. After several more hours of trial and error, I found that all I needed to do was to turn off cellular data on the phone and qDD now reliably connects to the WU-1a and either camera connected via the TP-Link.

Looking forward to using the latest features and a big thanks to Zoltan for all his hard work!
GonzoG

Post by GonzoG »

If you cannot connect with router page you won't be able to connect to camera. There is something wrong with your router or phone.

As to WU-1a/b - if you have installed Nikon WMU application you won't be able to connect with qDD. WMU runs in background and connects automatically to camera.
If you do not have Nikon WMU installed and still cannot connect with camera you might have problem with your phone's WiFi.
dejan

Post by dejan »

GonzoG, so you are saying that the WMU app is always working in background?

I have an iphone 6 and both Nikon WMU and qDD 2.9 installed in the phone. I have random delays when I use LRT because it can't download the preview pictures or it takes very long time so i can't set an interval time less than 30s (sometime even that is not enough). Can you confirm that uninstalling the WMU may fix this issue?
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

The WMU problem is only on Android.
Use RAW+JPG(BASIC) with Size S for faster downloads
And use a faster SD card.
dejan

Post by dejan »

Thanks but the Nikon D3300 only allow me to set RAW+JPEG Fine. I can't reduce the quality of the JPEG format.
dslr

Post by dslr »

[*]i have both wmu and qdd installed on android...
i can use both without any problem, albeit connecting to d7200 wifi directly, not wu-1a/b...

just exit one app before using the other app...

when wmu is running, there's a notification icon on the upper left corner...
in wmu, there's an options icon, 3 vertical dots, at the bottom right...click on it, select exit, click yes to confirm exit...
(it may look different on iphone)
the notification icon is gone...
Attachments
Screenshot_2015-07-26-06-52-55.png
Screenshot_2015-07-26-06-52-55.png (38.31 KiB) Viewed 17304 times
GonzoG

Post by GonzoG »

dslr wrote:[*]i have both wmu and qdd installed on android...
i can use both without any problem, albeit connecting to d7200 wifi directly, not wu-1a/b...
On most of phones and tablets WMU blocks qDD from connecting to camera. Exiting WMU won't help. WMU lunches automatically in background when connected to camera WiFi on WU-1a/b.
Tried it on my Nexus 5 and only killing WMU helped.
dslr

Post by dslr »

hmmm...interesting...

in wmu options, is 'app auto launch' set to no...
does that make any difference...
GonzoG

Post by GonzoG »

dslr wrote:hmmm...interesting...

in wmu options, is 'app auto launch' set to no...
does that make any difference...
Unfortunately no.
Auto launch means that app will launch in foreground.

WMU is useless if you have qDD installed so I don't see any reasons to keep it on phone.