Sony a7sII LRT issue

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
Photosbykev

Re: Sony a7sII LRT issue

Post by Photosbykev »

Sorry hubaiz, I misunderstood the query. I bought my cable from Dynamic perception but it is simply a 2.5mm TRS plug with the USB multi-terminal connector on the other end of a coiled cable. Probably as easy and quicker to buy a simple ebay hand held remote for the Sony from a company like Pixel, cut the lead off and refit a 2.5mm TRS plug to it. To test with qDD you could just press the shutter button a handful of times with a 5 second delay between captures which should have the same effect rather than buying a remote.

regards
Kev
Christoph777

Post by Christoph777 »

I have the same issue on my a6000.

LRT exposure control only works when i use the internal LRT timer.
As soon as i connect an external timer/NMX timer, it will not adjust any exposer parameters anymore.

Here is a link (amazon.de) to the cable you need for connecting the NMX with the camera:

http://www.amazon.de/Enjoyyourcamera-Fe ... G7GH8J283B

http://www.amazon.de/Zusatzkabel-Pixel- ... 87DV9EDNRK

It conncets to the USB Port of the camera.

There is a workaround i use when i am using the NMX:

I use the LRT intervallometer to fire the camera. On the camera i put a hotshoe adapter with PC Sync port and connect to the AUX input of the NMX and use the NMX in slave mode. This works well.
Here some links to cable and hotshoe adapter:

http://www.amazon.de/Fotga-Blitzschuhad ... ge_o01_s00

http://www.amazon.de/Stecker-Blitzsynch ... ge_o02_s00
Photosbykev

Post by Photosbykev »

This does work BUT the LRT timelapse interval is very inconsistent. If I set it to say 5 seconds I've seen it vary from 2 seconds to over 9 seconds so it isn't accurate enough for very smooth moves. Using any external intervalometer with the Sony bodies with qDD controlling the exposure, either manually or via the holy grail routines, is the problem which isn't resolved as yet.

regards
Kev
Christoph777

Post by Christoph777 »

Hi Kev,

using qDD´s internal timer with NMX as slave works fine for me. No inconsistent intervals.

Could it be that you are not giving qDD enough time to communicate with your camera? I usually give an extra 3-4 seconds to the interval so qDD has enough time to comunicate.
Usually if the the intrval time is to short for this, and qDD hasnt finished communicating the new exposure values before the next trigger, than the trigger will be dropped.
So, for holy grail sunbrise/sunset, if you would have an avarage pool of e.g. 5 frames, it would drop every fifth trigger, and waits for the next.
Say your interval is 4sec and your exposure already 2s, than your interval would be like this: 4,4,4,4,8,4,4,4,4,8,.......

Could that be the problem? Hope it helps.
Chris
Photosbykev

Post by Photosbykev »

I think that is the problem i.e. the camera isn't ready for a trigger signal and misses the next usb command. However, I was shooting at 0.4second exposures with 5 second intervals with the camera (a Sony A7S, so a pretty small file size) writing to a very fast SD card so it had about 4.5 seconds to write and get ready for the next shot so it should of had plenty of time.

Using the external intervalometer i.e. the NMX or remote trigger, would still be my preferred method of shooting because it means the camera keeps shooting even if qDD crashes so the problem with qDD not controlling the camera when using an external intervalometer still needs to be resolved if possible.

Kev
randolph

Post by randolph »

I have the same issues with a sony a7r2. In auto holy grail it only ramps the shutter speed not the iso or aperture. I set a max 15 second shutter speed and no change after that. Im using an extetnal intervalometer set to 25 seconds.
crdeantonio

Post by crdeantonio »

Having the same issue with Auto HolyGrail not updating when using an external intervalometer. Has anyone made progress on this issue?
crdeantonio

Post by crdeantonio »

Does anyone know if there has been any progress with getting the Sony A7 to work well with DSLRDashboard?
crdeantonio

Post by crdeantonio »

Has anyone made any progress with this - getting the Sony A7 to work with AutoHolyGrail mode and an external intervalometer? I had same results are reported before, which is that only the shutter speed changes and not the ISO. I really want to take the next step into motion controlled day to night timelapses, but this is holding me back.
Mylee-media

Post by Mylee-media »

FliProductions.com wrote: 28 Apr 2016, 17:23 After more attempts I have made some progress but still not 100%.

I had the camera picture profile set to slog2 I think turning this off helped.

Previously, I was using a USB intervalometer, I have since dropped that and have been attempting with DSLRDashboard timer (much better).

Yes, each attempt I enable LRTimelapse 'Auto Holy Grail' button.

I have ran tests with various intervals (5-15 secs), slowest shutter speed has always been set to 10''

Yes, Image updates.

However, now, only the shutter speeds changes, I have not been able to get the ISO to change (min and max are set at 50-10000). I have tried sunset and sunrise, taking lens cap on and off to force light change, but only shutter speed changes.

Thank you for your assistance helping me through this learning curve, it's greatly appreciated.

Ryan.
I see that it is one year ago, but did can you give an update is everything working? I have the same problem when using the "auto holy grail" it will not change anything on both my ipad min nor my sony A6300 and A7RII. Hope somebody can help.