Automatic shutter speed setting

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
PeterHansen

Automatic shutter speed setting

Post by PeterHansen »

Hello

I'm new to dslrdashboard but intend to use it to control a canon 70D camera so that I can make HDR images.

I would like to know if there is a way to automate the shutter speed. What I would like is a program that reads the light meter and sets the shutter speed to the "normal" exposure - then the bracketing can do the rest. Is that possible?

Hope somebody can help or point me in the right direction.

Cheers

Peter Hansen
russellsnr

Re: Automatic shutter speed setting

Post by russellsnr »

Hi, If you are asking for the camera to have complete control then I would say not possible. The camera only reads the light that is either falling on or reflecting from a given subject and can only do that as a one mesurement, ie. your best base exposure for the object to be captured. You can of course (and I beleive is the best way to do so) take spot meter readings from numourous parts of the image to see what values you get at the highlight and shaddow side and then tell the camera to alter the exposure exposure for however many images you want to capture for the dynamic range of the scene.
Both the 70D and QDslr can do this for you but you must take control!!!
Russ
GonzoG

Re: Automatic shutter speed setting

Post by GonzoG »

What you are asking of is a standard bracketing in aperture priority mode.
Can be done directly from camera or in 2 ways in qDD - with a camera bracketing function or custom bracketing from qDD.