qDD execute a script?

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
wetcoaster

qDD execute a script?

Post by wetcoaster »

I am looking into how to control a camera during the Aug 21 solar eclipse. I own 2 Sony cameras and none of the available PC or Android based eclipse apps work with Sony cameras. The app must execute a set of precise exposure settings in a specific sequence and at specific elapsed times to match what is happening with the eclipse. One Android app uses a script which makes me wonder if that is something qDD could do.

I am brand new to the qDD world and have very limited knowledge of its capabilities as of yet.
GonzoG

Re: qDD execute a script?

Post by GonzoG »

No. There are no scripts in qDD. At least for now.
wetcoaster

Post by wetcoaster »

Thanks. I sort of doubted it based on my limited knowledge. Gunther Wegner suggested that I could probably accomplish what I needed via manual entry of the setting. I'll look into that.
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

You could eventually use the 'Sky stacker' module where you can set the number of captures and the shutter speed for them.
Rockwell

Post by Rockwell »

Hello,

I'm facing the same challenge as you. Did you find any solutions yet? Right now, I plan on using QDSLRDASHBOARD's custom bracketing feature to capture a series of exposures. Problem is, I need to drop out of that mode to adjust ISO, take a bracket there, change the ISO again, and then execute another custom bracket set. Knowing me, I will probably mess this up during the eclipse.

If you've found any good ideas, please share!

Thanks.
Space_Cowboy

Post by Space_Cowboy »

So how exactly do you use the Sky Stacker screen? The manual leaves a lot to the imagination. Someone responded about using it to capture a series of shots with various setting. How many shots in a series with camera setting can it store? How do you input say 12 different shots I a series?

Thanks
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

After entering the 'Sky stacking' module you can add new series with the 'Add' button.
After pressing the 'Add' button in the new added line you can define the frame count, shutter speed, ISO and eventually add a delay.
Space_Cowboy

Post by Space_Cowboy »

Thanks for the extra information. I will give it a try.
jvangiel

Post by jvangiel »

HI, I 'm also searching for a way to write a script in advance for the eclipse of 2020 in Chile. The Sky Stacker functionality is already a great step forward.
There are however two functionalities which are still missing:
1) the possibility to set an hour of the day as a point to start a series.
2) the possibility to program a conditional loop.

My scenario would be to make a series of pictures before the total eclipse at regular times while bracketing, until the time reaches the start of the total eclipse. (the first conditional loop stops when a certain time of the day has passed)
At that moment, the only thing I want to do manually is remove the solar filter from the lens.
Then a new sequence bracketing should start with different apertures during the total eclipse. by the end, after the diamond ring, the camera should start a third sequence with different delays between the pictures for the period after the total eclipse.

I think that you already made a big effort with your application. Only these two elements are missing to get there.
Whatever, I greatly appreciate your efforts on this application.