D750 USB Connection Lost

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
seangove

D750 USB Connection Lost

Post by seangove »

I am trying to use this app to turn my Samsung Tab A into a VIDEO monitor. I can connect with wifi, but wifi connection will be dropped as soon as you try to start recording video. In turn I have to use USB, which is fine, but as soon as I tap the USB connection button I get a connection lost notification...it is immediate.

Videos like this make it seem easy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnzkHegu3aA

I am using the cable provided with the nikon d750, and an OTG converter to go to the tablet. I turn the camera on, launch app, tap icon, and connection immediately lost.

What am I missing??? This seems like it would be most sure fire, trouble free, reliable way to connect.
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: D750 USB Connection Lost

Post by hubaiz »

The camera does not allows video recording while wireless is enabled.

For the USB connection in qDslrDashboard settings enable the 'Use Android native USB access' option before you connect your camera.
seangove

Post by seangove »

hubaiz wrote: 10 Sep 2017, 06:23 The camera does not allows video recording while wireless is enabled.

For the USB connection in qDslrDashboard settings enable the 'Use Android native USB access' option before you connect your camera.
Thanks for the quick reply, but this isn't the issue. As soon as you connect a USB device wifi is automatically disabled. That said, to test this theory, I powered up the camera, made sure wifi network was disabled, connected the USB, and opened qDSLR Dashboard. As before, when the app opens I immediately get a notification saying "Connection Lost Nikon Corporation D750". The setting "Use Android native USB access" was already enabled before opening the app. However I disabled it, restarted app, plugged in the camera, and got the same result. I unplugged the camera, enabled the setting, closed the app, restarted the app, plugged in the camera, same result.

In case it helps, the model is Samsung Tab A SM-T350 with Android Version 6.0.1
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

As I already wrote video recording will not work while the D750 wireless is enabled.

Also you can either connect to your D750 with wireless or USB but not with both at the same time.

'Use Android native USB access' should be enabled.
Can you try another USB OTG adapter?
Do you get a dialog with list of application after you connect and turn on your camera with USB OTG adapter (qDslrDashboard should be in that list)?
seangove

Post by seangove »

As I already wrote video recording will not work while the D750 wireless is enabled.
Understood. As I stated, I made sure wifi network was disabled, connected the USB, and opened qDSLR Dashboard. As before, when the app opens I immediately get a notification saying "Connection Lost Nikon Corporation D750"
'Use Android native USB access' should be enabled.
It definitely is, but I get the same app behavior regardless of it is enabled or disabled
Can you try another USB OTG adapter?
Unfortunately, I only have one and it is brand new but I could probably get another if we need to cross this bridge.
Do you get a dialog with list of application after you connect and turn on your camera with USB OTG adapter (qDslrDashboard should be in that list)?
No dialog, but when I turn the camera on qDSLR Dashboard automatically opens and immediately afterwards the alert starts sounding off with the connection lost message from the app.
russellsnr

Post by russellsnr »

Hi, Not a Nikon person (Canon) had the same problem when I started with the OTG cable supplied with the camera, companies don't splash out on the best options when boxing up anything. Bought a quality cable and never looked back, not saying this is your problem but maybe!!! Russ
dslr

Post by dslr »

have you tried attaching a flash drive to the OTG cable to see if the tablet will recognize it then transfer (small and large) files between the two...
(may need to use apps such as ES file explorer)
seangove

Post by seangove »

I just tried attaching a flash drive to the OTG cable and was able to access very large full size 30 mp pics off of it. Separately, I plugged the Nikon provided cable from the camera into my computer and can transfer files of it. It doesnt appear to be an issue related to the cable.
seangove

Post by seangove »

On a related note, I was wondering if perhaps the live view is just carrying too much data for the cable, but I can run live view wirelessly without a problem, so even a less than quality cable would provide more bandwidth than wireless coming out of the camera. Related to this, I never actually get to see a live view from the camera....the connection is killed instantly as soon as the USB button is pressed.