Why is the 'search' on this forum so useless? - Solved!

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
andyfindlay

Why is the 'search' on this forum so useless? - Solved!

Post by andyfindlay »

If you've used this forum to try to find an answer to your problem using dslrdashboard you will have discovered that the search box is effectively useless.

For example:

I found that in dslrdashboard my D300s always resets the focus area to the centre and then re-focuses when you try to capture the image.

OK, so there's a problem. Let's search the forum in case there is either a fix for it or an explanation why it can't be fixed...

So I tried the following string in the Search box: d300s focus nikon and every word got rejected as a search term because it is too common as below:

The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: d300s focus nikon.

The same happens if you try to use the fancy search (icon looks like a gear next to the magnifying glass by the search box) even if you chose:
Search for all terms or use query as entered

And almost any photographic search term gets similarly ignored.

If this failure of the forum search tool could be fixed, I'm sure there would be fewer duplicate problem reports. Hubaiz would have more time for the real issues.
Last edited by andyfindlay on 01 Feb 2018, 16:28, edited 1 time in total.
I usually shoot RAW but the photos always look half-baked!
russellsnr

Re: Why is the 'search' on this forum so useless?

Post by russellsnr »

Have the same proiblem, trying to find out if the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 will work with the app but typed in Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Samsung Galaxy and lastly Samsung and get the message 'The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words' very annoying. Russ
andyfindlay

Post by andyfindlay »

Hi Russ,

Yes, it is the worst search implementation that I have ever seen. If you search for something completely off-topic ('elephants' for example) it will do a search but almost any term that is relevant is rejected.

I can't help but feel this is part of the reason Hubaiz appears to be suffering from overload.

Come on Hubaiz, give yourself a break and just fix the search function.
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

The search is provided by the forum, I did recreate the index now, hope that will improve the search.
andyfindlay

Post by andyfindlay »

Thanks, Hubaiz,

I just gave it a quick test and, yes, it is much better !!! :D

Thanks again,
Andy.