Liveview exposure only changes with aperture

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
davedow

Liveview exposure only changes with aperture

Post by davedow »

I am trying to learn how to use controlmycamera (iPhone and Nikon d850) at home, ready for some night photography tomorrow. I want to use live view with focus peeking (manual focus). It seems as though when I have live view on, the exposure is only affected by aperture and not by ISO nor shutter speed. i.e. the screen displays the live view, when I increase shutter speed the exposure on the phone looks the same, when I change aperture then phone image adjusts accordingly. I want to use it in this way
1. Crank up the exposure so I can focus on something
2. set the exposure back to correctly compose on the phone then take the shot

Dave
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: Liveview exposure only changes with aperture

Post by hubaiz »

CMC or qDD only display the live view image that gets from the camera.
The D850 should display the live view image with the applied exposure settings. Eventually check the camera settings.
davedow

Post by davedow »

When I use live view on the camera - I can push the "OK" button and see the exposure as it would look after the shot. Obviously, when using CMC I cannot see anything on the back of the camera. So, let's say I am doing night photography, up at 30 seconds and low ISO with f/16 then CMC shows something completely different to what the live view on the camera would have shown. I do not understand why CMC live view does react correctly to aperture changes, but does not react at all to shutter / ISO?

Dave
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

It can only display what the camera delivers.