Connecting Nikon D750

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
dlindey

Connecting Nikon D750

Post by dlindey »

I have set up the TP-Link MR3040 v2 as outlined in your tutorial. It successfully installed the factory upgrade. I am using the default network suggested by the upgrade and did not add any others. I have turned on the TP-Link router and launched qdslrdashboard for my iPhone which I purchased from the Apple App Store. I have attempted to enable the Wifi option on my Nikon D750 through the WiFi Menu on the camera but it searches for connection. When I try to connect through qDSLRDashboard on the iPhone using the Nikon icon the it returns the message failed to connect.When i press the icon to find deserver the app searches but nothing appears to happen.

I then downloaded the qDSLDashboard to my apple laptop and receive similar results probably because the camera is not connecting to the TP-Link router. What have I missed in the setup? I did not create a network specific to the D750. Is that the problem? If so how do I do that?The version 2 TP-Link has the 3 button mode switch. I assume that I must set it to the 3G/4G option correct?

Please help if you can. I am heading away to a dark skies area in one weeks time and would like to be able to use the setup for holy grail sequences.

Thanks for your help.

Dave Lindey
Niagara Canada
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: Connecting Nikon D750

Post by hubaiz »

To connect to your DSLR with MR3040 you need to connect your DSLR to the MR3040 with USB cable (the one that you get with your DSLR) and to turn it on.
Pair your iOS device wireless with the MR3040 wireless.
Launch qDslrDashboard and press the 'Network' button (on iOS the first from left, on other platforms the second from left). This should find and connect to the DSLR connected to MR3040.
If qDslrDashboard does not find the camera, long press the 'Network' button and enter 192.168.1.1 as IP address and press the 'Connect' button.

To connect to the D750 internal wireless:
In your D750 settings enable the camera internal wireless (please check your camera instructions manual)
Pair your iOS device wireless with the D750 wireless
Launch qDslrDashboard and press the 'Nikon wireless' button.
dlindey

Post by dlindey »

Thanks you for the quick response. I was able to connect the D750 directly to the TP-Link 3040 and trigger the camera. I' not certain that the device paired with dDSLRdashboard though to run wirelessly. I tried to disconnect the usb connection between the dsld and TP-Link. I then relaunched the TP-Link using the wireless network I created (iOSDSLR) and then enable the wireless option on the D750. I cannot connect to the D750 with the 3040 and qDSLRdashboard wirelessly. No DSLR device found on DDServer at 192.168.1.1 is reported when I press and hold the Network icon in qDSLRDashboard.

What else should I try?

I appreciate your help.

Dave Lindey
Niagara Canada
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

I will try to explain once more.
You have 2 option to connect to D750 from qDslrDashbaord

Option 1 with using the MR3040:
Turn on MR3040
Connect D750 with USB to MR3040 (full USB port) and turn on the D750
Pair your iOS device wireless with the MR3040 wireless
Start qDslrDashboard
Press the 'Network' button or long press it

Option 2 with using the D750 built in wireless :
in this case the MR3040 is not used, you should disconnect it and plug out the D750 USB
In your D750 enable wireless (check the D750 manual how to do it)
Pair your iOS device wireless with the D750 wireless
Start qDslrDashboard
Press the 'Nikon wireless' button
dlindey

Post by dlindey »

I apologize for my ignorance. I believe I understood the problem after I posted my reply. The TP-Link must always be hard connected to the camera via a USB connection correct? I was expecting to be able to work wirelessly between the camera and the to-link and the iOS device.

If i want to connect my D800 in a similar fashion I simple connect the USB connection to the TP Link, choose the iOSDSLR network on the iOS device and then run qDSLRDashboard to remotely operate the camera via the wifi device.

Thanks for your help. If I'm correct in my comments above it was a foolish mental block on my part.

Thanks and great app to be able to run holy grail sequences without having to touch the camera settings

Dave Lindey

Niagara Canada
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

Yep you are correct. You can even connect the D750 and D800 to the MR3040 with an USB hub and control both of them at the same time.
dont70

Post by dont70 »

I am having trouble connecting to my D750 on a nexus 5x. Have used shuttersnitch on ios often so I think I have the basic technique down.

Enable WiFi on camera, connect to that connection on phone and then launch qdslr dashboard. Understand it should be there but it isn't.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Don
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

dont70 wrote:I am having trouble connecting to my D750 on a nexus 5x. Have used shuttersnitch on ios often so I think I have the basic technique down.

Enable WiFi on camera, connect to that connection on phone and then launch qdslr dashboard. Understand it should be there but it isn't.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Don
Pair the Nexu 5x wireless with the D750 wireless.
Launch qDslrDashboard and press the 'NIkon wireless' button.
Be sure that no other device is connecting to the D750 and no other application is activated (like the Nikon WMU)
dont70

Post by dont70 »

Hey,
Thanks. Yeah. I tried that. I didn't even have WMU installed when I sent this message, but later I installed it and interesting enough it won't find the camera either. I have used WMU on iOS in the past without issue, so I don't think I am doing anything wrong. I do see the nikon WiFi listed and I can join it, but then it won't do anything from there.

Have you heard of anyone else on Android 6 having an issue? I am starting to think that might be Android causing the trouble. I have seen around the internet the Android 5 caused some WiFi issues when it launched too. Might be related.

Appreciate any thoughts you have.
Cheers,
Don
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

Be sure that no other device is connecting to the camera wireless.
It could be that your iOS device will connect to the camera wireless and preventing the other device from connecting.
I had this problem that my Android device did automatically connect to the camera wireless, my Windows wireless was also connecting to it but qDslrDashboard running on Windows couldn't connect to camera.