Nigelh

Nikon D3300 video recording

Post by Nigelh »

Setup:

Nikon D3300
WU-1a
Galaxy 3 tab
Jellybean

In Host mode, the LV REC button appears, but no video file is recorded on the camera.

I assume this is a known fault, as it appears in several other threads for other Nikon cameras, but thought it would be useful to register it for the specific camera.

Is there a broadcast mechanism to inform users of a new version (beta or otherwise) which fixes this problem?

Many thanks.
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: Nikon D3300 video recording

Post by hubaiz »

Nikon does release documentation for the budget models including the D3300
I don't know if it has movie recording functionality.
Nigelh

Post by Nigelh »

Yes, the Nikon D3300 does record video - I'm currently using it to film a video trailer for my latest novel! When using DSLDashboard in host mode we can see the live view output on the tablet, and it displays a record button, but the camera does not record when we press it....(works fine using the record button on the camera in standalone mode).

As the D3300 is a budget version, and is therefore likely to be a popular choice with customers, can I suggest that getting a basic function such as recording video to work might be a priority?

Best wishes.
frequencyvoid

Post by frequencyvoid »

It has movie recording functionality and the Live View works okay, but the Movie Recording button doesn't appear on the left-side control screen.
On the camera itself (standalone) the Live-View function needs to be on in order to record movies. I wonder does some additional code need to be added to qDSLRDashboard for the app to recognise that the Camera is in the Live-View "ready" state required to initiate movie recording? I don't have much experience with other Nikon DSLRs so I can't compare.
frequencyvoid

Post by frequencyvoid »

It has movie recording functionality and the Live View works okay, but the Movie Recording button doesn't appear on the left-side control screen.
On the camera itself (standalone) the Live-View function needs to be on in order to record movies. I wonder does some additional code need to be added to qDSLRDashboard for the app to recognise that the Camera is in the Live-View "ready" state required to initiate movie recording? I don't have much experience with other Nikon DSLRs so I can't compare.
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

I know it has movie recording. My D5000 also has movie recording but not when in PTP mode (USB pluged in)
After the USB cable is pluged in the camera switches to PTP mode and works a bit different.
If the camera support the movie recording PTP command qDD can start movie recording but if qDD can't find the movie recording PTP command then it can't start movie recording.