Wifi or USB for action photography?

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
Pete O'Donovan

Re: Wifi or USB for action photography?

Post by Pete O'Donovan »

Hi Gonzo,

OK I will try the lossy compressed Raw.

Re Transcend cards: I always wondered why they were so cheap compared to Sandisk!

Thanks,

Pete.
menocore

Post by menocore »

Hello together,

First, I really enjoy using qdd! Zoltan, great piece of work!
The only thing I am currently struggeling with is the burst or continuous shoot function.
As Pete mentioned already, my camera stops taking shots after 4 pics - independend from quality settings or number of pictures selected in the menu (>4 of course).
I don't know why as the manual mode allows me to press and hold the trigger and take "endless" pictures.

my setup:
D5200
WU-1a
Android 5.1.1
qdd 0.2.9 and 0.3.0 beta 5

No preview or download active.

Maybe you can give me an idea what is the reason or my mistake?
Thanks!
GonzoG

Post by GonzoG »

It all depends on camera settings and SD speed - mainly on quality of written files.

Camera does not allow endless shooting. It is possible only with smallest and most compressed JPEGs and fast SD card. With RAW+JPEG Fine Large - camera buffer will only take 3 photos, so with pretty fast SD card you may be able to take 4-5 photos.
menocore

Post by menocore »

Hi, I did some test shots and think it has to depend on the way of data exchange while remote control.

used SD card: Transcend 32GB class 10 UHS-1

Test 1:
manual mode (no wifi or usb remote control)
raw, large
continuous shooting high speed
push and-hold -> 17 pictures within 11s, first 4 within 1s
I released the button to stop

Test 2:
manual mode
raw + fine jpg, large
push-and-hold -> 15 pics within 13s, 4 within 1s
I released the button to stop

Test 3:
remote control via WU-1a, qdd 0.3.0 beta 5
3.1 raw and fine jpg, large
3.2 jpg, basic
number of continuous shooting frames = 10
pressing capturing key results in 4 pics independent from above quality settings
camera display instantly changes to "connection to mobile device"
now I could trigger again

Conclusion:
Endless shooting is possible in manual mode, not in remote control mode even if there is a setting for number of shots...
I agree with you that the selected quality has a certain "speed impact" after the first second but it should not prevent the possibility of endless continuous shootings.
GonzoG

Post by GonzoG »

With remote control you can get endless continuous shooting only with endless camera buffer.

With limited buffer you can only shoot until buffer is full.
menocore

Post by menocore »

To get it right.
You say my D5200s infernal buffer is the limiting factor. Does it mean it is camera firm- or hardware related?
So why is there a setting for a great number of "continuous shooting frames" - are other cameras equiped with auch more buffer?
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

The 'continuous capture count' is a Nikon property that tells the camera how many captures should it do when exposure drive mode is set to 'continuous capture' . It can be 1-99 frames.
After you press the 'capture' button the camera will perform the continuous capture and take 'x' number of frames that is set.

Each camera has an internal buffer where the captured image is stored before it is written to the SD card (or download to controlling device).
The internal buffer size is different on each model where the higher end models have bigger internal buffer.
After the internal buffer is filled the camera will wait until it has enough space to store the captured image into it (it will wait until images from the internal buffer is written to the SD card and there is enough space to store the new captured image)
mgoeckner

Post by mgoeckner »

So the thing I don't see - and maybe I am looking right past it - is how to get continuous capture with qdslrdashboard....

I am running a D750 with a Mac Powerbook. I am trying to get a set of pictures showing balls dropping to show to students
+++++++++++++++++++++
Nikon D750
Macbook Pro
Meade 2080 Schmidt-Cassegrain Telescope. (200 mm Diameter, 2080 mm fl)
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

Set your capture mode to continuous capture.
In qDslrDashboard in 'camera properties dialog' (second button from top on the right side you will get a button where you can set the number of images to take.
Finally press the 'capture' button in qDslrDashboard
mgoeckner

Post by mgoeckner »

I was trying that - I think - but it did not seem to work. I figured out how the get the shot using 1080p60 video and cutting to the 25 images I needed. So all is good. I will likely try this again at some point.
+++++++++++++++++++++
Nikon D750
Macbook Pro
Meade 2080 Schmidt-Cassegrain Telescope. (200 mm Diameter, 2080 mm fl)