Can't connect. OS X, D7100, v0.3.4, usb, TP-link

qDslrDashbord error reports
canfieldd

Can't connect. OS X, D7100, v0.3.4, usb, TP-link

Post by canfieldd »

I tried to connect Nikon D7100 to Macbook Pro Retina, OS X 10.11.2 via direct USB connection and then via TP-LINK. No connection established on either method. I tried with older Macbook pro, no connection.

When I tried to connect to Retina (newer computer) via USB, I started software, then connected USB cable to camera and computer, then turned on computer, then clicked USB icon. Nothing happened. Then I switched off camera and software crashed. Same procedure on older MacBook didn't cause crash, but no connection. There was no software response via TP-Link connection.

The Retina is a new computer. I've used the older MacBook with older OS X versions (Yosemite, Mavericks) with older versions of qDslrDashboard successfully with both hard wired USB and TP-Link connections. This was the first time I've tried to use the new Retina MacBook Pro with qDslrDashboard.

I made a successful connection to camera on latest version of iOS app on iphone through TP-Link.

By the way, both computers did connect to the camera via Photos.

Any ideas?
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: Can't connect. OS X, D7100, v0.3.4, usb, TP-link

Post by hubaiz »

Regarding OSX El Capitan please check this post: http://dslrdashboard.info/phpBB3/viewto ... ?f=5&t=643

Regarding TP-Link can you access the OpenWrt web interface at http://192.168.1.1 from a web browser?
Did you try to long press the 'Network' button and in the upcoming dialog enter 192.168.1.1 as IP address and finally press the 'Ok' button?
canfieldd

Post by canfieldd »

Thanks for the quick reply.

One question about the El Cap usb solution you suggest. Is the command line command "sudo killall -9 PTPCamera" a permanent command? does it permanently alter the operation of OS X El Capitan? If so, what functions / apps does it affect? Can I undo it if it causes problems, and how so? The photo apps I use are Lightroom, Photos (occasionally), and Photoshop. I usually import from a photos from a card reader, but sometimes directly from the camera via usb, and often from my iPhone camera via usb. Are these apps or others affected by the command line you suggest?

I'm reluctant to issue that command not knowing all the implications of doing so. I tried to disable PTPCamera through the Activity monitor, but DDashboard still crashes. I'll send a crash report if you wish.

I'm still working on your TP-Link solution. I'll let you know. Although either solution working would be helpful, I'd really like to have the USB solution working.
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

No it is not permanent, it just kills the system PTPCamera process that is started when an USB PTP camera is connected.
Unfortunately on El Capitan as soon an USB PTP camera is connected the PTPCamera service is started and then qDD can't access the USB device.
canfieldd

Post by canfieldd »

As for the TP-Link solution you suggested, all seems to work fine now. I was able to access the router at 192.168.1.1 and a long press did show that was the address without having to enter anything. It all just worked fine. I did a test focus stack sequence successfully. So that all seems to work fine.

Thanks!

I hope we can figure out the USB solution.

Thanks for a great product!!!
canfieldd

Post by canfieldd »

So, just to be clear, that means that I will need to issue that command every time I wish to run aDslrDashboard via USB? I can live with that.

Is this a function of OS X 10.11 - El Capitan? Is there a solution you can put in your software as part of the startup, or that we can make Apple aware of so they maybe remove this "improvement" in future OS X releases?
canfieldd

Post by canfieldd »

By the way, your response time is incredible. Thank you so very much for you promptness!
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

canfieldd wrote:So, just to be clear, that means that I will need to issue that command every time I wish to run aDslrDashboard via USB? I can live with that.
Yes
canfieldd wrote:Is this a function of OS X 10.11 - El Capitan? Is there a solution you can put in your software as part of the startup, or that we can make Apple aware of so they maybe remove this "improvement" in future OS X releases?
Yes, it is a new system service. For now I only found this one. I hope there will be a better solution for this.
canfieldd

Post by canfieldd »

Sorry to be a bother, but I'm still not able to connect via USB.

I rebooted computer, opened Activity Monitor to see the PTPCamera function. Of course at first is was not there.

Connected camera via USB, and PTPCamera appeared in Activity monitor.

Opened Terminal, issued command " sudo killall -9 PTPCamera ", PTPCamera vanished from Activity Monitor

Opened qDslrDashboard, clicked on USB icon (first on left). Nothing happened. Clicked and held icon (long press). Nothing.

Turned off camera. qDslrDashboard crashed. "qDslrDashboard quit unexpectedly." I have the report if you want to see it.

I tried this with qDslrDashboard downloaded from both mirrors. Version number on both was v0.3.4.1
Computer is MacBook Pro 11,5 (Retina, 15 Inch, Mid 2015) running OS X 10.11.2

Thanks in advance for your help.
canfieldd

Post by canfieldd »

Just letting you know I still have not got this to work. Can't run Qdslrdashboard on Mac connected to D7100 by usb. Works through TP-Link. Disappointed but I can work with this for now.