NMX Controller andCamera Exposure

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
slightlystippled

NMX Controller andCamera Exposure

Post by slightlystippled »

I am familiar with using DSLRDashboard for controlling the exposure during time lapse, but I am have difficulties controlling the camera exposure and the NMX controller using the MOCO part of DSLRdashboard. If I use the NMX controller to trigger the camera (D7200) I cannot use DSLRdashboard to control exposure because the camera will not respond to a trigger from the NMX when in PC control mode. If I use the camera to trigger the NMX controller the MOCO part of DSLRdashboard does not recognise that the controller has been triggered to move for the next frame. There seem to be a disconnect between the camera control and MOCO control parts of DSLRdashboard.
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: NMX Controller andCamera Exposure

Post by hubaiz »

Do you use the interval controller?
slightlystippled

If you mean the interval controller on qDD then yes but first I set up the moco channels, set the NMX to slave mode (with the appropriate connection between camera and NMX) and started the moco controller. I then went to the LRT screen and set the interval timer. What I found odd was that when I went back to the moco screen the settings had all been reset. Perhaps a help page on how to use the moco screen and how it and the LRT screen interact would be useful. I love the idea of being able to control both the camera and the NMX from the same app, but I find cumbersome to setup particularly as there does not appear to be a quick way of switch between moco and LRT screens.
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

Nop, I was refering to the interval controller (IC) screen.
From your post you are using the NMX screen to setup your NMX and you use the LRTimelapse screen to control the camera exposure and the qDD interval timer.

If you use the interval controller (IC) screen then you have more options to control the NMX motor movement. Either by adding a DSLR channel or with 'Capture finished' checkbox.

In case of the NMX screen you only use it to program the NMX and later on you will trigger the movement with the AUX port.

Yes there is a missing manual for the NMX and IC screens, will do them.
slightlystippled

Thank you for your prompt reply, I must admit to being a little confused, how does the IC screen help me control the camera particularly the exposure during a time lapse sequence? I also do not understand what the "capture finished" checkbox is for. Would it be possible for you to give a brief overview on how the LRT screens and the motion control screens are used together?
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

Interval controller is an advanced interval timer that can control your interval, NMX motors. Here is a brief explanation: http://dslrdashboard.info/interval-controller/

The 'capture finished' checkbox is only relevant if you use the 'Interval controller'

If you only use the NMX screen, I presume you will program your NMX so that it moves the motors after each capture. You will trigger the motor movement with the NMX AUX port connected to your DSLR.
If this is the case I'm not sure what is the problem? Maybe I misunderstand your question.
slightlystippled

I have the controller set up as you said with the aux port connected to the DSLR to trigger the next move. My problem is that having set the start and finish positions for the rig I then need to go to the LRT screen to monitor exposure etc, but how do I start the process if I am no longer on the IC screen?
BTW I only need to set start and finish points and for this the moco screen is much quicker and easier in my option to set, much as I appreciate that for complex moves the IC screen is more appropriate.
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

Ok, now I get what is the problem.
Will think about it, probably best would be to add a NMX button to the LRT screen.
slightlystippled

And an LRT button on the next screen? What about an LRT button on the Moco screen ( for simpler moves)? Many thanks for your responses.
WillyA

Post by WillyA »

Hello,

As on last comment from slightlystripped i having the same problem (NMX controller using the MOCO part of DSLRdashboard) and being able to control both the camera and the NMX from the same app (using version 0.34) would be greate to integrate as well to MOCO.

Regards

Willy