Auto Holy Grail stops working after 1 hour

qDslrDashbord error reports
Alderbaran

Auto Holy Grail stops working after 1 hour

Post by Alderbaran »

First of all, let me thank you for creating such an excellent app. For a long time, I have strived to achieve the smooth flicker free timelapse of a sunset or sunrise but to no avail. Finally, I have found the almost perfect solution in qDSLRDashBoard.

At 6:20am this morning, I ran a second test of the setup to capture the dawn of a new day from the living room. This time, I experimented with a 3-way auto-ramp of ISO, Aperture and Shutter.

Canon 60D
Firmware 1.1.1. (Latest)
Camera set to Manual mode
AF off
Stabiliser off
Auto Lock off
Live View
Silent Mode 2
White Balance 4K

IPad Air (4th generation)
Software Update 9.3.3
Auto Lock off
No other apps running except qDSLRDashBoard

qDSLRDashBoard
Version 3.5.1
Auto Holy Grail
Sunrise
Auto Ramp ISO 100/3200
Auto Ramp Aperture 4.0 / 16.0
Auto Shutter Max 4"
Timer 7"

Initial Settings
ISO 200
F stop 5.0
Shutter 2.5"

At the beginning, the auto ramp appears to be working. As of 6:50am the settings have changed to ISO 100, F/14, Shutter 2.5".

As the day got brighter, I noticed that the histogram started shifting to the left and the images were getting darker. I manually set the reference point higher in order to delay the ramping until the histogram shifted to the right.

At 7:35am, the software became blank and could no longer show the previous image about 1 hour 15 mins into the time lapse after reaching about 700 shots. The camera settings at that time was ISO 100, F/16.0 and Shutter 1/13".

As part of the recovery process, I tried powering down the router to disconnect, powering it back up, shutting down the app, reconnecting to router, relaunching the app, setting the timer back to 7". Fortunately, it allowed me to resume the time lapse but a few precious minutes were lost and the floating point has gotten much higher.

Could you please look into this and advise whether the issue is software related? The app would be aboaultely perfect if it can provide an uninterrupted time lapse sequence.