5-15 km range...TP-Link CPE210 or CPE510?

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
uter25

5-15 km range...TP-Link CPE210 or CPE510?

Post by uter25 »

Hi I'm new to dslrdashboard and am looking for a router and I stumbled across the TP-Link CPE210 ($37 at amazon) and the CPE510 ($49 at amazon) and was wondering if these would work with dslrdashboard and if yes how complicated the setup would be? The range is 5km and 15km respectively. Though that's a lot more range than I need I would like to have 300-500 ft and right now with the built in wifi on my Nikon I am lucky to get 100 ft...really lucky.

They are both listed on the OpenWrt website and can operate in WISP mode (AP / Client / Repeater / AP Router / AP Client Router (WISP) operation modes) but, as I mentioned, I'm new to this.

They're a bit big but I would be mounting to a tripod so I'm okay with that. I think it could be powered using a standard USB battery pack and an ethernet to USB adapter but again this is a bit new for me. :shock: :?

Any thoughts, experiences, condemnations (okay you can keep those to yourself :) would be appreciated!

Here's the Amazon link if you want to check them out:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P4JKQGK/re ... hAbX09H2J5
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: 5-15 km range...TP-Link CPE210 or CPE510?

Post by hubaiz »

It will work for range extension using the base station and the CPE.
The problem is that you would need to connect a MR3040 (or other router) to the CPE as the CPE don't have an USB port and without it you can't connect the camera to it.

So it would look like this:

camera <-USB-> MR3020 <-network cable-> CPE <-------- wireless (2.4 or 5 GHz)----> base station
uter25

Re: 5-15 km range...TP-Link CPE210 or CPE510?

Post by uter25 »

Thanks for the info it would be a bit of a setup I suppose.

Anyone have any range extending solutions they’ve tried?