Liveview: qdslrdashboard vs dslrdashboard

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
Hiker42

Liveview: qdslrdashboard vs dslrdashboard

Post by Hiker42 »

D800 and D700 user here. Live View in dslrdashboard from the Play store updates the image on my HTC One m7 about 4x faster than qdslrdashboard does. Aren't these two apps based on the same code? If so, is there a setting I'm missing to get LV to update at the same speed as dslrdashboard?
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: Liveview: qdslrdashboard vs dslrdashboard

Post by hubaiz »

The old DslrDashboard was written using Java and C while qDD is C++
I didn't notice any LV update problems in qDD with Nikon DSLR especially not 4x faster compared to DD.
Hiker42

Post by Hiker42 »

Just uploaded a video to show the difference. qdslrdashboard first, dslrdashboard second (this is obviously just a quick video a bit of useless video as I switch apps and when I finish)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C38Uok7do8
GonzoG

Post by GonzoG »

I haven't notice any significant differences in LV refresh speed between DD and qDD.
I'm using it mainly on Nexus 5.

On older versions of qDD where LV histogram was turned on by default it was slower but now it works similar.
Hiker42

Post by Hiker42 »

Hmmm.

That's interesting. I'm using a HTC One m7 and get the same behaviour whether I'm using a Sense based ROM (i.e. based on the ROM from the OEM) or CM-based. As you can see in the video the difference is pretty significant.
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

I tested with USB/MR3040 on Nexus7 (2012) and Samsung Galaxy S2 (both have custom ROMs) and didn't had such slowdown.

Anyway here is a test where I did some changes regarding live view rendering: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxMZ8X ... sp=sharing
Hiker42

Post by Hiker42 »

Tried the test build and there's no difference in performance.

Very odd though. Are people getting the update rate I get in DD or is it more like what I get in qDD? As in am I just getting an unusually fast update rate in DD but others get more what I get in qDD?

I've been changing settings on my phone (disabling USB debugging, etc) and nothing makes any difference. I just get a far slower update rate in qDD compared to DD.
Hiker42

Post by Hiker42 »

Just to be clear; is it a case of everybody else's qDD liveview speed is as fast as I'm getting in DD in my video?
Hiker42

Post by Hiker42 »

Looking into this more, it seems like qDD isn't using GPU acceleration on the HTC One m7 but DD does. If I enable "Profile GPU Rendering" in Dev settings with onscreen graphs, I get a lot of GPU activity with DD running and LV updating but no GPU activity with qDD running (the HTC One m7 uses the Adreno320, fwiw)

Wouldn't this explain the slow LV updating? All of the qDD is actually very slow on my m7
Hiker42

Post by Hiker42 »

Not that there seems much point in posting in this thread any more, but I bought an MR3040 to test. No difference at all on my HTC One m7
but if I can find it within myself to pony up $13 for the iOS version (why's it not free for iOS users?) I'll test it with an iPad just to confirm for myself that it's my phone and not the app in general.