Focus mode re-sets to AF-S

qDslrDashbord error reports
Trisolaris

Focus mode re-sets to AF-S

Post by Trisolaris »

Hello everyone,

I connect the current version of the app (on an Android 7.0) in camera mode with a Nikon D500 (firmware 2.0) via USB.

Whenever I shoot a picture or a series in AF-C mode (continuous AF), the focus mode is being reset to AF-S (single shot AF). It happens as soon as the shutter is being released, and is also displayed on the camera display. I have verified that AF-S is actually active. The same thing happens irrespective of how I trigger the shutter (via app, camera, or remote), and irrespective of other AF settings (3D, 21-71-153-point, group, single point etc.).

For my project I have to use the app in camera mode and AF-C (continuous AF), and activate AF and shutter via a regular camera remote. Since the app offers full control over the focus mode, I guess that this is a bug that can be fixed. Having to switch AF back to AF-C after each shutter press is not an option.
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: Focus mode re-sets to AF-S

Post by hubaiz »

Can you make a screenshot of the camera properties screen just to see what settings do you set, so that I can use the same settings.
Trisolaris

Post by Trisolaris »

Here's what I've found out so far:

The bug send to depend on whether I've triggered the shutter via the app or not. Most of the time, the AF mode is being reset to AF-S if I have not yet triggered the shutter via the app. Let's say I connect the camera and start during away with my remote. The AF gets reset. Then I reset it to AF-C and fire one shot via the app. It doesn't reset. Then I fire with the remote or the camera shutter button and - most times - everything is fine. But it's not fully consistent. That's how it works on my D500 FW version 1.20.
Trisolaris

Post by Trisolaris »

One more detail: I must fire at least one shot via the app after every AF mode change. Otherwise the app will reset the AF mode to what it was before (or to AF-S) after every salvo fired via remote or camera shutter button.