Samsung S5 USB Link to Nikon D5300

qDslrDashbord error reports
fernbank

Samsung S5 USB Link to Nikon D5300

Post by fernbank »

While qDSLR Dashboard on my Samsung Galaxy S5 does control my Nikon D5300 with WiFi, I cannot get it to work via the USB connection. When I press on the USB icon on the qDSLR Dashboard on the Samsung smart phone nothing happens.

Do you have any suggestions on what I can try?
GonzoG

Re: Samsung S5 USB Link to Nikon D5300

Post by GonzoG »

Check if camera is visible at all by system - use app "USB Device Info" - camera should be seen and identified in both tabs.
If not - check your cables - you need USB-OTG adapter and USB cable supplied with camera (do not use cables from other manufactures. They have identical plugs but different pinout).

OTG adaptor can be checked by connecting any flash drive directly.

Camera cable can be checked by connecting to computer.
fernbank

Post by fernbank »

USB Device Info lists I item in the list: Device Path: dev/bus/usb/001/003, Vendor Name: Nikon.
Under Interfaces it identifies 3 endpoints: 0, 1 and 2

Is this what I should see?
GonzoG

Post by GonzoG »

Camera has to be visible in both tabs. You wrote what is and should be in Android tab.
And in "Linux" tab you should have:
USB 1
1-1
USB 2
etc

And in "1-1" camera model should be identified.
If you do not have any camera identification in this tab, than you phone does not support USB-host and you won't be able to use USB to connect camera.

Also of you have installed any other app for controlling camera (like Nikon WMU) than you won't be able to connect qDD to camera because those applications may connect in background and block qDD.
fernbank

Post by fernbank »

Hello,

Under Linux it includes Device List (3):

usb2

usb1

1-1
Under 1-1 it has Product Name (reported): Nikon D5300

By the way when I have the camera connected via usb to the Samsung S5 and I turn the camera on, qDD pops up on the S5 but only the icon list appears across the top. Tapping on the icons works for every one to the right of the Sony wireless icon but not the Sony and those to its left.

As to applications, the only one I installed was Photo Tools. This is mainly a calculator (Depth of field, flash exposure calculator etc.). It does have one mode that I can select where it activates the S5's camera placing a rule of thirds grid on the S5's screen. Could this be a problem?
fernbank

Post by fernbank »

Under Linux, I found the following:

Device List (3):
usb2
usb1
1-1
Product Name (reported): Nikon D5300

The only app I installed was Photo Tools which is primarily a calculator although it has one selectable mode which turns on the Samsung S5's camera. I uninstalled this app but that did not fix the problem using qDD.

By the way, when I connect the unpowered camera to the S5 and then turn on the camera qDD pops up on the S5. The set of icons appears across the top of the S5 screen. Only those to the right of the Sony wireless icon react to touch.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
GonzoG

Post by GonzoG »

Camera is connected properly so any problems you have come from your phone's system.
It might be any application that uses USB even a system app that cannot be uninstalled.

The easiest way to fix it is to reset system to factory state but then you will loose all system data.
fernbank

Post by fernbank »

When I connect another camera - Nikon D810 - and turn on the camera, on the S5 I am asked to choose an app for the USB device: Camera Importer, Gallery or qDSLRDashboard. When I choose qDD the app opens but again tapping on the usb icon does not do anything.

Could Gallery or Camera Importer be one of the apps causing the problem? I do not see them in Applications Manager so do not know how to remove them.

I am reluctant to do a reset on the S5.
cathy

Post by cathy »

Try a long press then when the ip box comes up hit ok ....try that
fernbank

Post by fernbank »

I also ran the app, "USB Host Check" on the S5. It indicated that android.hardware.usb.host.xml is ok. However, handheld_core_hardware.xml states that USB Host is not enabled. Clicking Fix in the app returns, "Could not start su process".

Cathy, I assume by "try a long press when the ip box comes up" refers to pressing on the usb icon which I have done without anything happening.