Understanding Reference and floating reference

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
jburden_

Understanding Reference and floating reference

Post by jburden_ »

Hey guys,
I'm having trouble understanding the reference points and floating references when doing Holy grail timelapse. I think i have day to night alright but whenever i try night to day i can't seem to get it right. What im confused about is how im supposed to get my images brighter if they are coming out under exposed. From what i understand you are supposed to hit the - or the + and once the floating average gets to the reference it should change the exposure? What happens if the floating average is higher than the reference though and still increasing? I've had a couple of failed attempts because i havnt been able to get the exposure right it is always under exposed. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Jack
mexican

Re: Understanding Reference and floating reference

Post by mexican »

Try to have a look into this thread

http://dslrdashboard.info/phpBB3/viewto ... f=5&t=1519

Perhaps you will be able to find at least a partial answer to your question

But as for your question, when your images are becoming underexposed the AHG should be able to compensate for it, provided you have the correctly configured sunset mode.
jburden_

Re: Understanding Reference and floating reference

Post by jburden_ »

Thanks mate,

I had another go at it and i think i am starting to understand it a little better. I guess if its really coming out under exposed i could just manually change the exposure and deal with the big jump in post processing.

Thanks for your help