App hangs when connecting to Nikon D5300

qDslrDashbord error reports
dehannes84

App hangs when connecting to Nikon D5300

Post by dehannes84 »

Hello,

I have the qdslr version v0.3.4.2 (Motorola Moto G) and a Nikon D5300.

I can connect the wifi with the Nikon and it is working.

When I push the Nikon Wifi button in the app than the Nikon dislpay says connecting to mobile device (Verbindung zu mobilem Gerät wird hergestellt). And the the app quits.
With the Nikon app it is working :-(

In the play store is written - fix for D5300, D5500 latest firmware crash
And in the Play store it says app installed.

Now I don't know if the Version in the Play store ist the v0.3.4.3 (does it exist) and the problem is fixed!?!?!

Normally I don't want to pay again the 10€...not cool but if the problem is fixed I mayba think about it!

Thanks for the information!
GonzoG

Re: App hangs when connecting to Nikon D5300

Post by GonzoG »

And do you will have Nikon app installed ?? Uninstall it because it is blocking qDD from accessing camera.

Also with Google Play store you pay only once for app. So if you have already paid you won't pay again.
mexican

Post by mexican »

Why would anybody need to uninstall Nikon WMU? If it's installed but not started it doesn't interfere with qDD in any way. I have both apps installed on two mobile devices ( iPad and Android phone ) and both co-exist without any problem.
GonzoG

Post by GonzoG »

mexican wrote:Why would anybody need to uninstall Nikon WMU? If it's installed but not started it doesn't interfere with qDD in any way. I have both apps installed on two mobile devices ( iPad and Android phone ) and both co-exist without any problem.
Because it does not allow qDD to connect with camera. Launch it once and till phone restart it stays in background and aromatically connects with camera if detected.

Correct - it launches with system so it always stays in background and automatically connects with camera if detected.
mexican

Post by mexican »

GonzoG wrote:
mexican wrote:Why would anybody need to uninstall Nikon WMU? If it's installed but not started it doesn't interfere with qDD in any way. I have both apps installed on two mobile devices ( iPad and Android phone ) and both co-exist without any problem.
Because it does not allow qDD to connect with camera. Launch it once and till phone restart it stays in background and aromatically connects with camera if detected.

Correct - it launches with system so it always stays in background and automatically connects with camera if detected.
As stated in my previous post, I never experienced this kund of problems. Maybe it is just a sort of configuration issue.
Which platform do you think the Nikon app runs in the background? iOS? Android? Or both?
mexican

Post by mexican »

GonzoG: You may be surprised, but right now I made one attempt. I started WMU, connected to the camera (D750), then started qDD ( I even didn't kill WMU) and voila. qDD connected to the camera.

If you don't belive it, I recorded a video of the whole process

https://youtu.be/SUG57Uw3Sz8

Edit: It doesn't work like this on Android. Prior to using qDD I had to kill WMU. But it definitly doesn't run in the background. However, in the Android version of WMU (unlike the iOS version) there's an option called "App Auto Launch", which is I believe turned off by default. If turned on the WMU app's window pops up after Wifi connection to the camera is detected. After killing WMU however, I still can connect to camera with qDD.
GonzoG

Post by GonzoG »

mexican wrote: Edit: It doesn't work like this on Android.
And we are talking about Windows Phone ??
mexican wrote: Prior to using qDD I had to kill WMU.
So you were wrong.
mexican wrote: But it definitly doesn't run in the background.
And here you are wrong.
mexican wrote: However, in the Android version of WMU (unlike the iOS version) there's an option called "App Auto Launch", which is I believe turned off by default.
Doesn't mean that it doesn't stays in background also it doesn't mean that it won't prevent qDD from connecting.
mexican wrote: If turned on the WMU app's window pops up after Wifi connection to the camera is detected. After killing WMU however, I still can connect to camera with qDD.
And you will have to do it every time camera is connected. WMU has tasks that always check WiFi status and every change launches WMU which checks if camera is connected.

dehannes84

Post by dehannes84 »

Now it's working! I forgot to update the software. I set the updates in manual. With the v0.3.4.3 it's working. And the Nikon wmu is still installed. But I have to click for the wmu software "Beenden erzwingen".
mexican

Post by mexican »

Nobody was talking about Windows phone. My video shows iOs. But after recording the video I realized that the original question was actually regarding an Android phone. Therefore I made another attempt with Android which proved that qDd works even if WMU is installed. I knew it lready that it works because I've been using it for one year already. I was just wondering how it behaves in comparison to iOS in a situation when I connect using WMU and then with qDD without stopping WMU first.
I tried it with Samsung Galaxy S6 and exactly the same way it worked on HTC One. There's absolutely no need to uninstall anything.