Dither with PHD Guiding

qDslrDashboard feature request, ideas
Yarosia

Dither with PHD Guiding

Post by Yarosia »

Hi!
I'm new on the forum but i use this awesome app since early versions...
I used to control my D300 and now my D610, from pc and from my tablet on the field.

Now, i often shoot astrophotography, with my modded canon 450d, but from time to time i like to use the D610 to get better dynamic range on fainter galaxys.
With this application i can set the bulb intervalometer, but i miss the dither from the guiding program. I use PHD (as lots of people do) and it provides a server running on the pc to interact with other programs, and recieve command to "dither".
Dithering is awesome since it moves the frame for few pixels, so the target is not on the same part of the image and hot pixels and different pixel sensitivity is usually negated by stacking lots of subframe.

Is possible to implement this function (send the dither command between a shot and another while using the intervalometer)?
This could be useful only on the pc version of the software, since phd only runs on pc and not on mobile devices.

Thanks for any reply!
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: Dither with PHD Guiding

Post by hubaiz »

I presume you are referring to this: https://code.google.com/p/open-phd-guid ... rInterface

probably to these commands
MSG_MOVE1 ... MSG_MOVE5
Yarosia

Post by Yarosia »

Yes!
sorry maybe i had to link that :)

Anyway, a simple pane with "dither on/dither off" and dither distance "1..5" and ip address/port for the pc running phd (usually is the same pc and 127.0.0.1:4300)
I could provide "on field support" if you will decide to implement this!
alexandreboudet

Post by alexandreboudet »

there is a little software called PHDmax witch could do the job.
PHDmax just look for new files in a specified directory. when it see a new file it tells to PHD to dither.

Is there any log file saved between each picture in intervalometer mode with bulb in some dslr dashboard directory?