Link to tablet not working (but not really not working either...)

qDslrDashbord error reports
Skalpa

Link to tablet not working (but not really not working either...)

Post by Skalpa »

Hi,

OK, I'm going crazy here, so I'll share my problem here with the small hope of a solution before I go buy another tablet.

I'm trying to connect my Nikon D810 to a Lenovo TB-8704F (aka Lenovo Tab4 8 Plus) via USB (no choice with the Nikon D810).

Basically, what happens when I connect the camera to the tablet (via the appropriate cable) :
- qDD starts
- I hit the USB symbol
- a text appears telling me that Nikon DSC D810 has been detected
- I have access to all the buttons on the top row
- BUT that's it : nothing else appears on the screen, no side bars, and no access to the cameras settings

App, cable(s) and camera are all good : it works like a charm when I run qDD and connect the camera to my Samsung A8 phone.

I have been looking everywhere to no avail (Lenovo forums, this forum, LRT forum...).

I have gone into developer mode, made the changes to the USB parameters.

I have run different apps to check the USB-OTG capability of the tablet, and everything seems to be ok. I just have a doubt when I run "USB Device Info" : the camera is seen in the "API" tab but not in the "Linux" tab, if that can help.

I successfully connect a 1Tb hard-drive, a 256 Gb USB memory stick to the tablet, both are recognized and accessible within a second.

So I'm running out of solutions here : if anyone can give me a clue (is this tablet not working with cameras? Or can it work provided I do/install something?).

One more clue, if it can help : I also have the same problem with the "Helicon Remote" app, which I want to use to do focus stacking.

As a conclusion, if I were to buy a tablet as of today, which one should I go for, easily available, stable, no more than 10" screen? I have a feeling it's a bit of a lottery to know if a USB connection is going to work or not!!

Thanks a lot.
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: Link to tablet not working (but not really not working either...)

Post by hubaiz »

Disable the 'Use Android native USB access' option in qDslrDashboard settings before you connect the camera.
Also try once with enabling it before you connect.
Try another USB OTG adapter.
Use the cable that you get with your camera (best you use a short quality USB cable)
Eventually try connecting the camera through a powered USB hub ( table <= USB OTG <= power USB hub <= camera )
Skalpa

Post by Skalpa »

Hi,

Thanks for the tips : tried everything, to no avail (saw someone who had the same problem trying to connect it to a drone RC).

I'm giving up on this ****** tablet!!

I find it crazy that it kinda works, but not really, but such is life.

So, back to my last question : which actual tablets work? I tried to find a list but couldn't.

Is there any characteristics I should look for in the specs? Something no too pricey I can dedicate to photography apps (Camranger, Helicon and, of course qDD :))

Thanks for your help.

Pascal.
awesome14

Post by awesome14 »

I was having this problem, but a different cable and switching 'on' native android usb access in qD settings solved the problem. Now I have to learn the remainder of the program.

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab S4
Android: 9
Camera: Nikon D810 via USB

Thanks a bunch for writing this program, Hubaiz!
Everything else is wrong!