Testing of MR3040 in event booth photography

qDslrDashbord error reports
vkkw

Testing of MR3040 in event booth photography

Post by vkkw »

Hi,

Recently I bought a few MR3040 to be used in an event photography photo booth. The event is around 14-15 hours long per day and lasted for 9 days. And here are some feedback and questions.

I bought 4x MR3040. 1x version 2.1, 1x version 2.3 and 2x version 2.4. I was using 1 macbook pro running Yosemite, 1 macbook air running Mountain Lion and 1 laptop running windows 8. Cameras are mainly Canon 6D, and 60D.

There were supposed to be 3 photo stations each location around 15m to 30m away from the laptops running dslrdashboard app.

Our observations are,

1. the dslrdashboard app seems to be more unstable on the windows platform than on mac osx.
2. The pairing between the macbook pro running Yosemite and MR3040 Ver 2.1 seems to be the most stable. While it will disconnect from time to time, we pretty much can run it for over 15 hours each day for 9 days without any problem.
3. Other combinations are all very unstable. While most combinations can work, they are extremely unstable. They kept disconnecting at such high rate that it's unusable for the intended purpose.
4. While the distance range is good, we probably need wireless signal boosters to make it work even better.

Our questions are:
1. Does the MR3040 versions compatibility matters? We could only find one ver 2.1, but newer versions, while can connect, are not really usable over long period as the disconnection rate is too high.
2. Or does the instability have anything to do with the type of OS used?
3. Does using 3 MR3040 concurrently affect each other? Do they conflict with each other?
4. Is there a way to use 1 computer to connect to 3 different ddservers? I read that you have to use 1 client to 1 ddserver, is that stable or is it better to use separate computer with each ddserver? More importantly, how do I connect to different ddservers if I can only establish one wifi connection to a ddserver?

I'm sorry for all these noob questions as I am still very new with this app and solution, but was really thrilled that it work for at least 1 station for a long hour event. It would be extremely helpful if I can make it work with multiple stations. Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks!!
paulmofyourhand

Re: Testing of MR3040 in event booth photography

Post by paulmofyourhand »

3. This might have little to do what software or firmware you're using but more that they could be on the same channel. When you have that many access points near each other, it's best that they are on the furthest channel away from another.

Being 2.4ghz routers, make one CH1, CH6, & CH11.

You could take it a step further and check out the venue to see what channels are currently up and change them accordingly.

4. This would be great if it was possible!
Photo & Nerd
Loving this qdslrdahboard with my mr3040!
5d2, 24-70 f2.8 m1, flashes, etc