Compile Openwrt along with ddserver - what am I missing?

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
littlelio

Compile Openwrt along with ddserver - what am I missing?

Post by littlelio »

Ok finally I was able to compile openwrt from scratch, along with ddserver source from git hub. Firstly I have to thank you to make such amazing software! I am a full time photographer and I think this can greatly help my work, and by chance I major in computer science so I am very happy to dig in a bit!

I have summerzied some steps and I hope this can help some people, but I want to confirm the steps (sorry this is not a full tutorial but with enough information you can search across internet), since I feel I missed some steps?

1, Prepare the build environment and I am using Linux. More details can be found on openwrt website. A few important points:
* the openwrt version. I picked Chaos Calmer 15.05 which is the latest, although it is not in fully stable release. (RC2 for now)
* the default configuration has no webGUI (Luci), so if you download the default bin, you have to telnet then ssh into via putty.
2, Config - make menuconfig is very useful. This is the time you can pull ddserver source code from github and put into the package folder. so in the menuconfig, you will see the ddserver option under multimedia category (also, as I mentioned above, pick Luci so you have webGUI). It will solve the dependency automatically. NOTE: You'd better install the packages into bin NOW, install using opkg later is not feasible since the flash space is too small to do that. (the bin is compressed so it can fit in)
3, Make it! The major pain is from bad internet connection. You can 'make download' first to download all the sources, then a single make will much faster (less than 10 minutes).
4, get the .bin file and install it on your router!

So here comes my questions:

* Is there anything more I need to config to enable the ddserver by default? For example, it will be in /etc/init.d and auto start by default, which is great. But the I am not sure about the network configuration. Should I leave it as it is or do some change? The Wifi is off by default, so more or less I should make some change? Or should I change it via webGUI?

* Just to confirm. so ohci is good enough for camera USB connection? should I install kmod-usb-uhci in the kernel setting? I tested, and it works all right without uhci.

* A very funny findout: If I config /etc/config/network without a gateway setting (e.g. This router will be a AP in the network) along with bridging function, the camera will not be detected (LED will not flashing while camera is on). As soon as the gateway is set, camera can be detected immediately. Is this a ddserver setting or some system function? As I said I am still confused about the network configuration, so maybe they are related.

* This is not directly related to ddserver, but about how to flash the openwrt... For a different model, say tp-link MR11U, which has the same hardware as MR3040. But the original webGUI will not allow a MR3040 factory bin. What I did, was using openwrt default MR11U factory bin from webGUI, then using mtd command convert it with openwrt default MR3040 factory bin, then sysupgrade command flash it with ddserver MR3040 sysupgrade bin.

Just now I feel I can also mtd the ddserver MR3040 factory directly into MR11U openwrt directly (actually this is the MR11U with ddserver compiled by myself). Unfortunately, I bricked it. :(

Maybe you want to ask me why I did that, because I want to check the network configuration in the ddserver MR3040 bin provided here....

OK, so much story. I hope above information can help someone and perhaps some one could help me...with the network setup... (I will try to debrick by myself and let everyone know). Thanks!
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: Compile Openwrt along with ddserver - what am I missing?

Post by hubaiz »

qDD uses UDP to to discover the DDServer on the network (single press on the 'Network' button) and without a default gateway/broadcast address it will fail.
If you long press the 'Network' button you can enter the IP address and then the UDP discovery is not used.

In OpenWrt configuration you should select the 'Target System' and also the 'Target Profile' (there is a TP-Link MR11U profile)

With Atitude Adjustmnet (not sure about newer versions) you can create a 'files' folder in the OpneWrt source root folder where you put files that will be added to the final image.
So creating a

Code: Select all

/files
	/etc
		/config
			luci
			network
			wireless
you can pre-configure the router network, wireless etc.
littlelio

Post by littlelio »

Great information.

Thanks for the explanation. I felt auto discovery is slow so every time I input manually. I am just amazed that the LED didn't flash when the camera is plugged in, without the gateway. Normally I would think it will flash, but it just refuse to working. Anyway...

Yes, I selected the target system as the ar71xx (same for MR3040/MRxxU), and I did picked MR11U profile.

Yes, with newer version, custom files work the same. http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/build#custom_files
May I ask if you changed luci/network/wireless config in the recent release? Is there anyway I can check it? (other than flash the firmware...) thanks.

By the way, I realized that I seemed to mtd the sysupgrade bin file which caused the brick... can not remember well due to lack of sleep...

This is great help, and thanks for your fast reply!
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

Only the configuration files for network and wireless (so that wireless is enabled after first start, by default it is disabled on OpenWrt)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxMZ8X ... sp=sharing
littlelio

Post by littlelio »

Thanks a lot.

Now I also compile a BB version and check its setting carefully, since CC is still RC2 and no luci included.