Manual focus stacking aid

qDslrDashboard feature request, ideas
mexican

Manual focus stacking aid

Post by mexican »

Hi Zoltan,
today I was shooting some macro with flash and focus stacking.
Although QDD made good job helping me to shoot the pictures, the automatic focus stacking didn't bring me expected results (could be a subject of a different discussion) which made me do the job manually.
This tedious work gave me an idea of two new features I'd appreciate to have them built into QDD.

1) Since I was shooting with flash and I used a shutter speed which allowed me to kill ambient light I had to constantly switch between 2 shutter speeds which was driving me mad. One for the exposure itself (1/200s) and another one for LV (1") - so that I was able to see anything at all in LV and to adjust the focus.
So my idea is to either have the possibility to quick switch between two pre-defined shutter speeds or have this process automated entirelly - QDD would automatically select one shutter speed for shooting and the other one for the exposure.

2) Second idea would be to remember last zoom level and crop area. After every shot I had to re-zoom to the area in order to see whether it's in focus or not.

Juraj
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: Manual focus stacking aid

Post by hubaiz »

What DSLR do you use?

1) This is already in there with the BLV (Bright Live View) button (check page 12 of the manual)

2) This should be remembered in image viewer?
mexican

Post by mexican »

1) Thank you for the tip. The funny thing is that I've read about it in manual couple of days ago, but since I didn't need it that time I forgot about it immediately.

2)
Imagine following situation.
You zoom-in into certain area of the frame in LV. Then, after you take the picture and the app returns back to LV, the LV is back at zero magnification and I have to zoom back in.
At least the focus point retains its position.

So if I had current zoom level of 100% before taking the picture I'd like it to stay at 100% also after I take the picture.
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

The problem is that the zoom is controlled by the camera.
What you can do right now is to select the zoom you need, then long press the 'zoom display value' button (the one between the + and - on right)
It will turn red and then you can single press it to switch between not zoomed and the selected zoom value.
mexican

Post by mexican »

I think this workaround would help a lot.
Thank you for your effort.