Inserting a delay in downloading images

qDslrDashboard feature request, ideas
Sterling_Archer

Inserting a delay in downloading images

Post by Sterling_Archer »

Hi there,

First off, Zoltan, you're a legend. Seriously, this is genius.

Secondly, I'm hoping to have a 15-30 second delay after capture to review a file before it's downloaded to the review folder. I'm using the software during event photography where it would be most handy to have a few seconds to review the image on back of camera before it's sent off to the computer.

I'm happy to dig around in a config file and stuff like that, but I'd love to know if there's a method to allow a small change in the automatic scanning of the SD card. Any tips?

Otherwise, is there a method to allow the mounting of the SD card in mac's finder or on the desktop? That way I might be able to work on the software side to fix my issue - I know gphotofs can do something similar, but gphoto2 is bulky.

Thanks again, this program is wonderful .
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: Inserting a delay in downloading images

Post by hubaiz »

Sterling_Archer wrote:Secondly, I'm hoping to have a 15-30 second delay after capture to review a file before it's downloaded to the review folder. I'm using the software during event photography where it would be most handy to have a few seconds to review the image on back of camera before it's sent off to the computer.
Not sure how this delay should work. I could add something like that but what if the camera does something in the meantime then the download command will fail
Sterling_Archer wrote:I'm happy to dig around in a config file and stuff like that, but I'd love to know if there's a method to allow a small change in the automatic scanning of the SD card. Any tips?
Not sure what you mean
Sterling_Archer wrote:Otherwise, is there a method to allow the mounting of the SD card in mac's finder or on the desktop? That way I might be able to work on the software side to fix my issue - I know gphotofs can do something similar, but gphoto2 is bulky.
You mean while connected with qDD? If yes then no, only one application can access the camera (including the camera SD card)
Sterling_Archer

Re: Inserting a delay in downloading images

Post by Sterling_Archer »

Hi Zoltan,

First off, sorry if my wording is poor - as of a week ago I had no experience with any programming. Thanks for the reply.
Not sure how this delay should work. I could add something like that but what if the camera does something in the meantime then the download command will fail
- I'm guessing the software notices a new file on camera, I have no idea if it's possible but from that point it would be great to have countdown timer (15 seconds) start. At the completion of the 15 seconds the image file is downloaded and should another shot be taken during the timer countdown the timer is reset to 15 seconds.

To be clear:
1- Shutter is activated, file written to card.
2- Start timer (15 seconds)
3- If new file is written during 15 seconds, revert to step 2.
4 -If 15 seconds passes with no changes to card download all new images.

As I said, I have no experience with coding and if it can't work I completely understand.
I'm happy to dig around in a config file and stuff like that, but I'd love to know if there's a method to allow a small change in the automatic scanning of the SD card. Any tips?
Let me clarify -I figure that the software monitors the SD card continuously. A workaround for the above method would be to change that interval if possible, having the card monitored for changes once every 15-30 seconds instead. Any images the photographer has taken in those 30 seconds would then be downloaded to Dslrdashboard. It's not ideal but this would work as well. Sort of like a 'batch' download every 15- 30 seconds rather than as soon as the software notices a new file.
You mean while connected with qDD? If yes then no, only one application can access the camera (including the camera SD card)
My more precise question is this: Does DDserver have an ability to mirror images on card with images in the download folder?

qDD is a great program however for my purposes I'm only trying to get files from camera to a hot folder on my mac so that lightroom can interact with them immediately. Yours is the best solution to this problem that I can find without having to spend AUD$400 on a camranger, and I'm incredibly appreciative of that and all your efforts.

I tried a separate workaround that you may be interested in:
I gave gphotofs a try running it through terminal with the camera connected via USB cable directly. With, gphotofs, gphoto2 (for camera testing) and libgphoto2 (for drivers) as support, I was successful in mounting the SD card as a regular volume, though it didn't register changes to the card (umount <fuse location> and gphotofs <fuse location> were required to notice changes).

I then tried installing gphotofs on my MR3040, with the intent to have the SD card mount as a network attached volume. I don't know if it'll work, but in theory it was worth a try.

Unfortunately though I couldn't fit libgphoto2 (plus drivers) and gphotofs on the available system memory. Perhaps it would help if I understood how DDserver manages to get driver information as well as fit the features of gphoto2 in there I'd have a clearer idea - could you explain simply how such a small bit of code manages it?

Sorry for the long reply!
Cheers again!