Rack Focus

qDslrDashboard feature request, ideas
GonzoG

Re: Rack Focus

Post by GonzoG »

Do the difference is that helicon is guessing not you. That's it.
So I prefer testing a lens and finding out the it my self.

I knew how big step can be for each EV of aperture just after 3 tries.
shotframers

Post by shotframers »

I am not a studio photograph whit infinite time. I am taking pictures out in the field. By the time I realize I have not enough pictures. it is too late.
I still believe it should be possible to calculate those values.
If i use my Nikkor 105mm at 1:1 the distance to the object is 314 mm. If I chose f/8 the dof will be around 2.7mm. For an object of 1cm i need 5 pictures with an overlapping of 30%.
The app already knows how many steps are between my two selected focus points and could calculate the distance. If it knows the characteristics of my lens. And that is something I could teach the app, since it doesn't change.
So there is only the distance missing from sensor to object. The camera has to know the distance, because it is able to write it in the exif. Even if doesn't tell it over the usb, it would be possible to take a small and lousy jpg to get to this values.
So theoretically it should be possible to implement this and practically it would be a handy feature.
GonzoG

Post by GonzoG »

And who told you to do this on the field?? Is it to hard to remember few numbers??

And the app knows only how many focus steps are between points, focal length at infinity but you can ask a fortune teller about the distance...
Nikkor 105/2.8 VR has ~75mm at 1:1 and real aperture is about f/2.8 or even faster... And how the hell qDD can know this data if camera is reporting 105mm and ~f/4.

So if you say it is that easy to do, than do it your self.
pigeonhill

Post by pigeonhill »

I don't do macro focus stacking, so created an in-camera 'landscape' exposure and focus bracketing script for my 5D3: http://photography.grayheron.net/2016/0 ... rev-4.html

Because it relies on Magic Lantern, it is no good for my A6000.

Does anyone know if qDD focus stacks non-macro scenes, ie intelligently using near/far DoFs and diffraction awareness (as in my script)?

Also, is it possible to script with qDD?

Cheers

Garry
GonzoG

Post by GonzoG »

Yes - you can do focus bracketing with any lens - well... whats the difference ?? It's just a name printed.

And no - it won't setup automatically because there are no data to do this.