One handed operation

qDslrDashboard feature request, ideas
Shayman

One handed operation

Post by Shayman »

I have been successfully using qDslrDashboard for a while now using a Nikon D610, TP-Link MR3040 and Android phone setup for aerial pole photography. This setup almost always means that I'm holding the Android phone in the palm of one hand (with buttons operated using my thumb) while the other supports the pole. My issue is that the shutter release button in qDD is on the left hand side of the screen, perfect for those who are left-handed, but not so great for those of us who are right-handed.

It would be really helpful if there was an option to flip the left hand and right hand buttons on the camera control screen so that those of us who are right handed could get the shutter release button on the right hand side of the screen.

(If there's already a way to do this, I'd be very grateful if someone could tell me how to do it!)

Thanks for your help.
dslr

Re: One handed operation

Post by dslr »

as a workaround, have you tried holding the phone in a vertical position so that the shutter release icon is at the upper right corner...yeah sometimes the ui orientation may change if you're not vertical...
thus, in the same vein, instead of adding and changing the code to flip the ui left and right, maybe it's simpler and quicker to have a setting to disable the orientation change...the current behavior, which can be the default setting, is auto re-orientation so that the shutter release icon is always at the top left...after disabling the orientation change, the user can rotate the physical device as desired...eg, this will allow the shutter release to be at the bottom right, albeit an upside down ui...
Shayman

Re: One handed operation

Post by Shayman »

Thanks for the suggestion and apologies that it's taken so long for me to respond. I do sometimes do as you suggest and it can help. The only trouble is that, as you say, the live view image is then either sideways or upside down and my brain struggles to get it's head around composing with the image like that. I can compose, then rotate the phone to fire, but there's more chance I'll not hold the pole steady and knock off the composition as I rotate the phone in my other hand. I am learning to use my left hand better though, but it would still be helpful to have an option to move the shutter button.