Bulb, the D3400 and Intervalometer

qDslrDashboard feature request, ideas
alpaca

Bulb, the D3400 and Intervalometer

Post by alpaca »

Hi everybody. I realize that this is an old thread, but it is also an interesting one. Last night I was able to get bulb working (set a one minute exposure and camera took a one minute exposure). This, to me at least, says the bulb function does indeed work. Is there a way to get this feature to work with the intervalometer or, alternatively, to have the app automatically "restart" the bulb shot previously? Almost like an excel macro or something of the like?

I know this is a constant topic, but I had never heard of bulb working AT ALL, so this seems like something was fixed or added.

Thank you!

Alex
alpaca

Re: Bulb, the D3400 and Intervalometer

Post by alpaca »

Want to bump this back up to the top of everyone's feeds.

thanks!
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

Nikon does not provide documentation for developers for the D3x00 models.
These models have the same remote commands/properties like the higher end models with few exceptions.
Like it does not have the command to start/stop the movie recording or the command for the bulb capture.
qDD will check the availability of these remote commands and if it finds it (the camera propagates it) then it will use it and enable the feature.
So if the D3400 has the remote command for bulb capture then you can use it.
You must set the camera to M mode, shutter speed to BULB and then you can try and make a capture with the qDD capture button.
alpaca

Post by alpaca »

Thanks for your reply! I found the sky stack feature and I’m set on that front. I am now noticing, however, that any of the bulb shots only get stored on the phone and not the camera. Non bulb shots seem to be sorted on the camera as well. Is there a work around for this or is this the issue?
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

Images are always stored on the camera SD card.
Only exception is when you long press the 'Capture' button (it will turn red), then the images are downloaded to the controlling device.
alpaca

Post by alpaca »

I tested this out this morning and you're right. I am not sure what was going on with it last night.

Interesting to note that the BULB intervalometer for D3400 works fine with the Sky Stacking feature.

The Calendar Icon-->Sky Stack-->Adjust settings to desired values (BULB time, ISO, number of frames, etc)-->Click the capture icon on the left and boom.

I wanted to document the workflow since it was hard to find and want to be sure it's find-able.