Problem with Canon R6

qDslrDashbord error reports
Estew

Problem with Canon R6

Post by Estew »

I purchased an Android tablet* for use with qDslrDashboard. With the program installed I tried to get my Canon R6 connected. I've tried the wifi connection option and the USB option. When attempting to use the USB connection I first tried a USB 3.1 Type-C to Type-C that stated it was compatible with the Canon R6. But when that failed I stepped up to a USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 C to C. Neither will allow the Canon R6 to show up on qDslrDashboard.

When trying the wifi connection I get a little more success, but then hit a wall. The first thing I'm doing is using the "Canon Connect" program to connect the tablet to the Canon R6. Then, after I have the wifi connection established I open up qDslrDashboard (v3.6.4) and try to connect the R6. I tap the Canon icon and the Connection Info displays the following:

Searching for Canon/Sony wireless camera
Found Canon Canon R6 wireless camera, connecting....
Finished searching for Canon/Sony wireless camera
(a minute later)
Failed to connect to connect to Canon camera with wireless

Any suggestions?

Thanks

* The Android tablet is a HAOVM 7 inch Android Tablet, Android 11.0 Oreo Go Tablet, Quad-Core 1.4GHz Processor, 32GB Storage.
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: Problem with Canon R6

Post by hubaiz »

You need to use an USB OTG adapter and use it this way:
R6 >= USB cable => USB OTG adapter => Android device

For wireless connection don't use the 'Canon Connect' as it will prevent qDslrDashboard connection.
Forllow this:
- enable wireless on your camera
- connect your Android device wireless to the camera wireless (using Android settings)
- start qDslrDashboard and press the 'Canon wireless' button
* be sure that Canon software is not running in background
* be sure that no other device is connected to the camera wireless
Estew

Post by Estew »

Thanks for the reply and suggestions.

I have an OTG adapter on order, so hopefully that will allow the camera to interface with the app.

I was able to eventually get a connection with the R6 with the Android tablet. I will have to work with it a few more times so I can do it routinely because it took a lot of attempts to finally work. Often after connecting the wifi I would then get a message on the Canon R6 stating "Start Canon app/software on the smartphone" which would inhibit qDSLRdashboard from functioning properly. But after starting the Canon app and then disabling it I finally got a connection.

I will try the OTG adapater when it arrives as it will likely prove to allow for a quicker connection (on my part).
Last edited by Estew on 03 Jul 2021, 21:17, edited 1 time in total.
gorazdb

Post by gorazdb »

Hi, if I may steal this thread - I have Canon R6 (fw 1.4) too, trying to use it with the Windows version of the App but it keeps crashing my camera - I have to reseat the battery constantly. I installed the USB driver with Zadig as advised, without it the camera was only recognized in Computer Manager, but not in the Application.
What`s bothering me is the Focus stacking feature which doesn`t seem to work in my constellation. As I read on the forum I have to create a delay between the shots, but the App doesn`t follow the delay settings at all! It did on my Android phone though..
When electronic shutter is used on R6 there is no change in focus between the shots, only when using mechanical shutter.
There`s reset button under Focus Stacking (Windows version) which doesn`t reset anything for me...
When I have the camera in Av mode and set the aperture, the shutter is never updated (synced with the camera) at the bottom left side of the screen, and when in Tv mode setting the shutter never updates the fNumber at the bottom left of the screen. When in LiveView none of the settings are synced from the camera in the bottom left of the App!
Features are great, only if they would work ... :?