Camera: Canon EOS 5D Mark II

Hi.

I followed the wokflow described in the V1.1 Manual:
  • Set 'Focus direction' to 'Closest'
  • Focused on the end focus point and stored it into focus point '1'
  • Focused on the start focus point
  • Set the image count to 10, leaving 'Focus step' to 'Small'
  • Set 'End focus point' to '1' and left 'Start focus point' at 'Current'
As I intentionnally chose the end focus point significantly further than the start one, I was expecting an automatic update of 'Focus direction' to 'Infinite' as well as change of 'Focus step' to 'Medium' or 'Large' (deducted from what can be read in this topic: http://dslrdashboard.info/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=80).
No update even when pressing on the 'Capture' button: the right amount of pictures were captured but going the unchanged direction with the unchanged focus step.

I manually changed the 'Focus direction' to 'Infinite' and pressed the 'Capture' button. This time the pictures were taken going the right direction but stopped far from the end focus point as 'Focus step' was obviously too small.

At last I manually changed 'Focus step' and 'Image Count' to approximately fit with end focus point and I finally obtained the appropriate sequence of pictures with correct intermediate focus. I could successfully process this set of pictures with a Focus Stacking software (CZM).

My conclusion: I must manually adjust all the parameters except start and end positions.

Did I miss something or is there an undocumented limitation for some types of cameras, as the expected calculations seem to be performed for Nikon D300 (see mentioned post above)?
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: Focus Stacking not updating parameters

Post by hubaiz »

Maybe I was not so clear in the manual but my English isn't the best.
With Canon only one focus step will works.
If you started moving the focus with the medium and saved a focus point after that you need to use medium all the time, if you use another step qDD will delete the remembered focus points.
AInglese

Re: Focus Stacking not updating parameters

Post by AInglese »

Thank you for your answer.

Yes, you clearly mention such a limitation in page 12 of the manual. This limitation appears to be attached to the 'Focus movement buttons': I have verified that FPs are cleared when using a different step from the one used before setting FPs. But it is not mentioned in the 'Focus stacking' section and moreover when you manually change the 'Focus step' displayed on top of 'Focus stacking' window (see page 32 of manual) it does not reset FPs or if it does it is not shown on the screen (set FPs remain red).

Since my previous post, I have made some more testing and I have come to the conclusion that FPs do not work for me (only with my camera?). When I try to recall any set FP (red button) by a single press, focus is always performed on the area currently selected by the Focus rectangle. Stored settings in FPs appear not to be recallable.

Then, so far, I will put up with manually setting focus stacking sequences which is not a disaster after all.
In this manual process, It would very helpful to be able to start a defined focus stacking sequence (start point - actually the current position -, direction, step, frame count) without taking any picture, just to visualize final focus and check if the expected depth is fully covered. This would prevent storage of unwanted pictures (and later need to erase them!) resulting from unsatisfactory settings.