Custom Bracket Error

qDslrDashbord error reports
ClarusStudiosInc

Custom Bracket Error

Post by ClarusStudiosInc »

I took out my new set up (TPLink 3040 and iPad Mini with qDSLRDashboard) for RE photography out today and noticed something odd. Shooting with a Nikon D600 and Tokina 16-28, I had a custom bracket option with a 2 1.67 stop difference for 2 over and 2 under plus the regular exposure. I had it set to take the even exposure first then under and then over. What was happening was odd. It would take the first properly exposed image, shoot the 2 underexposed correctly and then revert to the properly exposed image and then shoot the 3.33 overexposed shot. Missing the +1.67 shot.

I didn't see this in testing, but then again I did 1stop brackets.

Luckily I caught it early on and just went back to my normal set up of in camera, not quite the same and easy, but it did the job.

It almost seems like there is a bug or something, unless I did something wrong.

Did I do something wrong with my settings? Should I have gone 0, -4,-2,+2,+4 instead of 0,-3.33, -1.67, +1.67, +3.33? Is it just the camera?

I'll do some testing again to see if it was something, but wanted to see if anyone else has seen this.
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: Custom Bracket Error

Post by hubaiz »

Was the camera in M or A mode?
What exposure step is set for the camera (1/2 or 1/3) ?
Maybe a screenshoot of the custom bracketing screen and one from the camera properties screen.
ClarusStudiosInc

Thanks,
Camera was in M mode, I rarely leave it.

Exposure step is 1/3.

Will post screenshots when I get a chance. Currently finishing up a job.
ClarusStudiosInc

Ok after testing thought I had it working correctly, brought it back out again today on a paid shoot and it did the same thing.

When following in the app it looked like it was sending the correct shutter speeds, but in post I am seeing a problem bracket, it is supposed to be 0 -2 -1 +1 +2 and it is showing me 0 -2 -1 0 +2

Will be testing it again at home while editing these... Not making it easy!!
robert

Post by robert »

Hi - i have also a problem using Costume Bracket: i am using a Nikon D800 with TPLink 3020 and iPhone6.
Here the values of my last test:
The correct series shown in the app an sending to the camera (5 Pictures step 1 LV) is:

1/200 (-2) - 1/100 (-1) - 1/50 (0) - 1/25 (+1) - 1/13 (+2)

and this is the result at the camera:

1/400 (-1) - 1/100 (0) - 1/50 (+1) - 1/25 (+2) - 1/50 (-2) - this are the values shown at the camera

i made more tests also using a ipad 3rd gen - but i can´t get a correct result.
robert

Post by robert »

Hello Zoltan - I have now started several attempts and it seems to work - I have no idea what was wrong before but I am very happy now - thank you very much! If there are still problems, I may report again :)