Duplicate Shutter Speeds in Brackets

qDslrDashbord error reports
bobjones

Duplicate Shutter Speeds in Brackets

Post by bobjones »

I was on a shoot yesterday and shooting 360s on a high end hotel shoot using my Sony A7RII.

Using qdslrdashboard to bracket 4 shots around. All brackets *must* be identical in these 4 shots or the final 360 images will not match.

I found at the end of the shoot that even tho the bracket speeds were displayed correctly on my iPad, the camera was creating duplicate shutter speeds for some bracketed images.

I now have randomly doubled bracketed shutter speeds that were captured instead of the range of brackets programmed.

I'm in damage control for this shoot now because of these missing images.
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: Duplicate Shutter Speeds in Brackets

Post by hubaiz »

Not sure I understand the problem but couldn't be that noise reduction (NR) is enabled on camera?
ClarusStudiosInc

Post by ClarusStudiosInc »

I am seeing the same issue.

I had mine set today to bracket 2 underexposed and 2 overexposed plus a correct exposure. Set to 1.33 difference.

I am running through my images in lightroom and I am seeing a "correct" exposure, the 2 underexposed images, a "correct" exposure and 1 overexposed image.

So shutter speeds as follows, 1/15, 1/100, 1/40, 1/15, .4 sec.

Its not creating the 1st overexposed image.

I am using a D600. My current solution is to add 1.33 to one of the "correct" exposure.
jetswing

Post by jetswing »

I have the same problem. I'm also using Sony cameras (A6300 & A7S2). It happens fairly commonly where it fails to change shutter speed. As result, consecutive photos are taken with the same shutter speed. It seems to me that the camera didn't get enough time to change the shutter speed. While the qDashboard app trips the shutter regardless. It sometimes falters on every other shot in the sequence. In rare occasions, it completely fails to change the shutter speed, when this happens, the shots are taken at much rapid pace than normal.
Last edited by jetswing on 09 Mar 2017, 18:19, edited 1 time in total.
ClarusStudiosInc

Post by ClarusStudiosInc »

That would make sense. I will have to do some testing on my cameras to see if when using quicker shutter speeds it works correctly. Might need to figure out how to delay it.
jetswing

Post by jetswing »

For me, it doesn't make any difference what shutter speed you're shooting at. When it happens it happens. Also when it starts to happen it happens very consistently and almost impossible to "reset" and get it working properly. I've tried rebooting iPad and pulling the battery out from the camera. I think it might have to do with a given camera becoming too sluggish (after a long shoot?) to change the shutter speed in time before next photo is taken. It's almost impossible to do professional type of work when this happens.
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

I did run tests with a6300 in M mode and had no problems at all. Was changing the shutter speed as the number of over/under exposures and it was always working.
So please post your settings that will trigger this as I couldn't reproduce.
As I wrote for slower shutter speeds (under 1 sec) check that noise reduction (NR) is disabled.
jetswing

Post by jetswing »

hubaiz, I have both exposure/ISO NR turned off. I shoot bracket shots for 2-3 hours straight everyday at work -- it's almost impossible to use. I really haven't found any solid pattern except it usually occurs at the end of 2-3 session. It usually starts out working flawlessly but the problem occurs just about every session -- it's very consistent. That's reason why I thought some variable in the camera is causing the issue. For example, the camera heat up after long use and processor can not handle commands in given time. Also, the bracketed session not only repeat shutter speed but often hangs after few shots. I've tried resetting the camera and iPad -- it does not help.

The only other variable I have is I'm shooting with Fotodiox Canon EF adapter. I've never shot with a native lens. Maybe someone else can chime in if they're using an adapter or not.

Next time I run into the bug, I'll try switching to native glass and/or changing to second camera body.
bobjones

Post by bobjones »

I noticed an iOS update on March 14th to version 3.5.3.

Has this issue been resolved?
jetswing

Post by jetswing »

No, the bug last not been resolved with the latest update. I'm not able to find any pattern to the bug. I have tried everything from rebooting both the camera and iPad, swapping to another camera body...