Focus stacking not working on Canon 6D

qDslrDashbord error reports
skysurfer

Focus stacking not working on Canon 6D

Post by skysurfer »

I used DSLR Dashboard on my Canon EOS 6 (original version) with success, but the focus stacking function does not work.

I set the camera to live view, enabled two focus points (after some fumbling around I found that I have to long press the '1' and '2' buttons),
I used this workflow from the manual:
A simple focus stacking workflow:
 User starts the camera live view and enables the focus stacking interface (‘Focus stack’ button under live view category in camera properties display
 Using the live view focus movement buttons the user focuses on the part of the image that will be used as end focus point
Note: after this point the camera AF (auto focus) can’t be used
 User long presses the focus point ‘1’ button so that qDslrDashboard remembers the focus point (focus point ‘1’ button will turn red)
 Using the live view focus movement buttons the user focuses on the part of the image that will be used as start focus point
 User sets the desired focus stacking image count
 User sets the ‘End focus point’ to focus point ‘1’ and leaves ‘Start focus point’ at current
(qDslrDashboard will set the focus stacking direction and focus step values)
 Users starts the focus stacking capture with the ‘Capture’ button
But after pressing the capture button, it only changes focus once and all frames have the same focus, despite focus points 1 and 2 are different (I assume, when I set the '1' or '2' predefined point, no feedback is provided by the app.)
And in many cases I cannot change the number of frames. Clicking on the '+' or '-' buttons does nothing.

Camera : Canon 6D Firmware 1.1.8
Lens: EF 24-105L original, AF switch ON
Client: Android 8.0 (Huawei Mate 9) over Wifi.
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: Focus stacking not working on Canon 6D

Post by hubaiz »

skysurfer

Re: Focus stacking not working on Canon 6D

Post by skysurfer »

Finally it worked. But the live view did not show the focus change when it was taking the frames, but actually the camera did change focus.

These two images (and 22 intermediate images)

with medium steps, make: