Holy Grail Fails to download JPEG

qDslrDashbord error reports
simonplantphoto

Holy Grail Fails to download JPEG

Post by simonplantphoto »

I’m using an iPhone 7 Plus with software 12.2 and connecting to the app via WiFi
I have used the auto holy grail function a couple of times without success.
The first time the settings did not update unless I paused the external intervolometer so I thought I may have needed a longer interval as it was set to shoot every 2 seconds.
Tonight I shot again but with a 4 sec interval the app crashed a couple of times and I managed to start it again. Around 30 minutes in it stopped downloading a JPEG every 3rd frame and updating the settings unless again I paused the intervolometer.
When I did paused it the final time the exposure jumped from f8 to 2.8 blowing out the exposure.
Any advise ?
Simon
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: Holy Grail Fails to download JPEG

Post by hubaiz »

What camera do you use?
What is your slowest shutter speed?
Seams that qDD don't have enough time to change the camera parameters.
simonplantphoto

I’m shooting with canon 5d mk4 the exposure started at 1/20th down to around 1/2 second with interval of 4 sec.
Apart from it losing connection a couple of times and 4 frames where it changed the aperture to f 2.8 for some reason and blowing out the exposure the final Time-Lapse looks great.
Simon
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

What external interval timer do you use?
For Canon there are some that put the camera in focus mode before capture, while in focus mode qDD can't change the camera parameters.
simonplantphoto

Hi it’s a basic intervolometer Yongnuo MC-36b
The lens is set to manual and don’t think this product controls focus.
Regards Simon
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

It does not control but puts the camera in focusing mode, even if the lens is set to MF camera will still be trying to focus.
Please check if the interval timer does this.
simonplantphoto

Hi again and thanks for your ongoing support.
Ive had the remote for a while but I've been and re read through the manual and there is nothing to suggest the unit effects any focussing at all.
With this in mind I'm still a little stumped.
Does the app need to be constantly running in the foreground ? So could you open email or the camera on the iPhone and use that while it runs in the background?
I did use the camera but wasn't sure if this is why it lost connection. However this does not seem to be the cause of why the images stopped downloading later in the time lapse and I needed to pause the time-lapse before it updated.
Hope we can get to the bottom of the issue as I believe the app used with LR Time-lapse could be very good if reliable.
Regards Simon
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

It needs to be in foreground, if the application is put in the background iOS will cut the network connection for it and so it will lose the connection with the camera.
simonplantphoto

Hi do you think this may have caused an issue with the app and the problem with jpegs not downloading?
Simon
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

Yes it could, as iOS will cut network when the app goes into background so it will not get the event notification from camera when a new jpg is available.