The end of the Linux version is near????

qDslrDashbord error reports
HLarzac

The end of the Linux version is near????

Post by HLarzac »

Hi,
I have a feeling that the Linux version of qDDB is about to end. I tried to install qDDB on different (.deb based) distro. Obsolete and no longer maintained libraries (e.g. libjepg.so.8, libpng12-0 and more) are always requested for subsequent installation. After a long search I got qDDB up and running on the ubuntu based Mintlinux. No chance with Debian-based variants such as Emmabuntüs (small ones for old laptops) or MX-Linux (currently very popular). What are your experiences like? I would find it a shame if the Linux version of qDDB would be leveled out or even discontinued. I reactivated my old eeePc and use it with MintLinux and qDDB (I would prefer a lightweight distro).
have fun with it.
Harald
skysurfer

Re: The end of the Linux version is near????

Post by skysurfer »

Do you use 32 bits or 64 bits Linux ?

Maybe that those libraries on your system are 32 bits ?

Maybe an idea ?
HLarzac

Post by HLarzac »

I use 64bit Linux versions. But after I didn't find the missing libraries in the repos, I generally googled for them. Even there with moderate success. I could only find the missing files for Ubuntu (including MintLinux). In reality I didn't pay attention to 32 or 64 bit anymore, I wanted to get qDDB working somehow. With MintLinux 19.1 I also succeeded, but I have my concerns whether this will still be possible in future versions?
I would find it a shame if qDDB would no longer work under Linux because the suitable libraries can no longer be found.
embur

Post by embur »

I have the current linux x64 version 3.5.9 dashboard up and running on a Linux Mint version 19.2 ex window 7 laptop. It seems to work ok with a canon DSLR. Live mode look fantastic on the bigger screen. It takes photos and video no problem.

On my slightly newer windows 8 lappy also running mint 19.2 it is a different story.

I got over the missing shared libraries: libpng12.so.0: by searching and downloading from
http://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/amd64 ... 0/download I let the package manager install it.

Now I'm stuck on 'libjasper.so.1'

Code: Select all

error while loading shared libraries: libjasper.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I have found some RPM packages that look similar but I don't want to risk downloading.

The mystery is why the different result on two similar machines runnig the same os.

Here is the system report (most of it) for the system with the missing library problem.

Code: Select all

System:    Host: ember-Aspire-ES1-512 Kernel: 4.15.0-91-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc 
           v: 7.4.0 Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 tk: Gtk 2.24.31 wm: xfwm4 dm: LightDM 
           Distro: Linux Mint 19.2 Tina base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic 
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: Acer product: Aspire ES1-512 v: V1.10 serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: Acer model: Aspire ES1-512 v: V1.10 serial: <filter> UEFI: Insyde v: 1.10 
           date: 12/15/2014 
Battery:   ID-1: BAT0 charge: 22.8 Wh condition: 22.8/37.3 Wh (61%) volts: 12.8/11.4 
           model: SANYO AC14B13J serial: <filter> status: Full 
CPU:       Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Celeron N2840 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Silvermont 
           rev: 8 L2 cache: 1024 KiB 
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 8663 
           Speed: 776 MHz min/max: 500/2582 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 522 2: 524 
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Graphics & Display 
           vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 chip ID: 8086:0f31 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
           resolution: 1366x768~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Bay Trail v: 4.2 Mesa 19.0.8 compat-v: 3.0 
           direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series High Definition Audio 
           vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 
           chip ID: 8086:0f04 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.15.0-91-generic 
PhotoJoe

Post by PhotoJoe »

Hi, I recently ran into the some of the same issues on a Kubuntu 20.04 box. I was able to resolve the libpng12.so dependency by extracting the libs from the xenial version .deb and adding them to the library path of qDslrDashboard. It seems jasper has also been depreciated in later Ubuntus in favor of openjpeg as it's upstream appears to be dead, see: this bug report. I did find an active fork of jasper however: https://github.com/jasper-maint/jasper/ attempting to keep it alive. Building libjasper from that source and subsequently adding to the qDslrDashboard path lets me launch 3.5.9 and interact with my Nikon D750. Hopefully that can help anybody else trying to get it running under Ubuntu/Debian.