Focus point not stored

qDslrDashbord error reports
jelly109

Focus point not stored

Post by jelly109 »

Trying to do focus stacking with my D5300 and Samsung phone, both used WLAN and USB cable connection, same issue: Focus points seem to be stored pressing "1" and "2" buttons long, color on the button moves from white to red. Focusing on another distance and hitting a focus point button that seems to have stored distance does not move focus to that stored value. Why not?

My AF mode in LV is set to AF-S.

Second issue. Once distance seems to be stored on a button, it cannot be set to a different distance, by pressing on it long again, can it?
The only way to delete the focus setting on a button is by pressing AF in the left hand menu bar twice correct?
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: Focus point not stored

Post by hubaiz »

Please check this great manual regarding focus stacking: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1276
jelly109

Post by jelly109 »

thanks, that helped. I think the main issue was, that I had AF after focus point change activated.....which of course is problematic once you learn that FP1 setting gets lost if AF is used to set FP2.....why is that? This is strange, no way to avoid this glitch?

So guys, deactivate this option in main settings and do NOT use AF button to set focus for FP2 whysoever....

I think the whole focus stack UI could be simplified....
jelly109

Post by jelly109 »

and it seems without a delay setting also some of the focus change commands are not recognized/executed by the cam.

So, for me the following process works for focus stacks and I suggest to align the UI to not even make mistakes possible:
1) make sure to uncheck option: AF after focus point change (not necessary with my process below, but helps to avoid issues by changing focus point and engaging AF without recognizing)
2) enable LV in left hand menu if not done at startup of the app and adjust your object and cam
3) make sure you have AF-S selected in cam autofocus options menu
4) make sure AF is not active in left hand menu bar
5) put green focus point rectangle on the area of the object at the far end of the intended focus stack range, tap AF button in left hand menu to focus the lens to that area and touch focus point 1 button long to store that distance
6) select focus stack from right-hand menu bar after selecting little Lv icon in the bottom right menu bar
7) move focus to an area that represents the near end of the focus stack range you want to shoot, by using the <<<, << and < buttons on the screen
8) make sure start focus point is set to Current, end focus point is set to FP1
9) go to delay field on the top of the screen and select 1s delay and hit set
10) select the frame count using + and - buttons on the left side of the screen to determine number of pictures to be taken
11) hit the cam icon in the left hand menu bar to release the shooting of the frame sequence

This works for me reliably, hope it helps others.
Last edited by jelly109 on 03 Apr 2020, 09:28, edited 1 time in total.
samantha1

Post by samantha1 »

cfiao works with your description but I have doubts about the points, still skip some part of the object to be photographed, where am I wrong?