connection to android phone doesn't work

qDslrDashbord error reports
NikonD800user

connection to android phone doesn't work

Post by NikonD800user »

Hi,

I am using a Nikon D800 and have installed dslrdashboard on my phone, an android device, Alcatel OT Pop C9. I connected the camera to the phone with a USB3 cable that comes with the camera and a OTG plug to connect to the phone. I do get the dashboard of the app, but I cannot connect to the camera. Does anyone know if I forgot something, or can anyone give advice? I want to use the phone as an external monitor.
Thanks in advance for your help!

D800 user
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: connection to android phone doesn't work

Post by hubaiz »

Please check this link
http://android.stackexchange.com/questi ... tg-support

and the USB Host Diagnostics application to see if your Android device has the full USB host.
NikonD800user

Post by NikonD800user »

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. The test indicates that there is a possible problem with my firmware. "It might be fixable if you root your device...". Is there another way to solve this problem? The phone is brandnew, so can there be a problem with the firmware update?
Best wishes,

D800 user
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

The problem is that vendors not always enable the full USB host.
If the hardware allows this can probably solved by installing a custom ROM that has the full USB host or by maybe rooting the device and trying to add the missing library.
Unfortunately there is no universal way and it depends on device vendor and model.
Just rooting the device does not mean the USB host will work.

I just searched for your device and it does not says that it supports USB host, only USB mass storage.
NikonD800user

Post by NikonD800user »

OK thanks, I did not know that. Is there a way to find and install a suitable custom ROM for my device? The USB options given are: use as USB storage, as media-device (MTP), as camera (PTP) and just load (all USB functions stop). Does that help in finding the solution?
Thanks again for your answer

D800 user
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

Flashing a ROM (custom one) can make your device unusable so if you don't have experience then think twice about it and read about it.
I did search but didn't find any.
NikonD800user

Post by NikonD800user »

I had hoped for a better answer, but anyway, thanks a lot for your kind help!