Focus stacking not working

qDslrDashbord error reports
vato

Focus stacking not working

Post by vato »

I followed the "simple focus stacking workflow" from the manual. I set the starting focus point and the end focus point as well as the focus stacking image count. Then I saw, that qdslrdashboard calculated the focus step values and set the stacking direction. Subsequently I activated the capture button.

The result was that the camera took the required amount of images, but all had the focus in the center. The beginning and end focus points I had set where ignored. The camera only refocused in the middle of the scene and then took the pictures.

The autofocus button was not set to focus before capture.

This behavior was the same on an Android device and on a Linux device.
hubaiz
Site Admin

Re: Focus stacking not working

Post by hubaiz »

Your camera model?
What was the camera focus mode?
The focus button where red meaning you defined a focus point?
vato

Post by vato »

It's a Nikon D300. The focus system is set at single-servo autofocus and single-point AF.
I defined focus point 1, which was red, and I used it as the end focus point.
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

All Nikon DSLR perform autofucs before capture. To overcome this qDD sets the focus mode property to MF before capture.
The problem with the D300 and D700 is that they are older models and don't have that property so qDD can't turn of autofocus and the camera will perform it before capture.
Some users find out that setting 'Dynamic AF on AF-C' to release and also 'Dynamic AF on AF-S' to release will not perform autofocus before capture.
vato

Post by vato »

That worked, thank you.

Please add a note about this to the manual.
heinzvof

Post by heinzvof »

hallo Vato,
I have the same Problem as you with D300s and Focus Stacking.
In your last post you told that you got it after the discussion with Mr. Hubaiz.
After many tests I can not verify it.Please can you tell me your exact workflow.
You can tell me it on my email h.schart@freenet.de..(probably in german).
Many thanks for your kindly answer. greetings heinzvof
RenkeB

Post by RenkeB »

Dear all,

Can you share the details of the solution, please?
I use a Nikon D700 and focus stacking does not work: I can set focus point 1 and focus point 2, but then the camera always performs AF before taking the next picture. So at the end all pictures are exactly the same.
I tried all kind of camera settings but without success.
Any guideline available???
Thanks in advance!
Renke
erich

Post by erich »

hello,

I have a similar problem that focus stacking is not working.
I have a Canon EOS600D with a Canon 18-55mm kit lens.

I can set focus-points 1 and 2 and can step with the dslrdashboard stepping arrows,
but when i start the stepping sequence it always takes the same picture.

I would be very glad for any tips for how to proceed.

best

Erich
Phil1957

Post by Phil1957 »

Hi,

I hope you can help me as I have the same problem with a Canon 760D and the 18-55mm lens. I tried other lenses, same problem.

I set A (front) and B (back) points, and after confirming the focus bracketing, always get the same photos: either the front is sharp, or the back, but none of the serie of photos (I tried 3, 5, 10, 20) is focus stacking.

When the camera takes the pictures, I can hear and see the lens focusing, but in the end photos, only one side, front or back is sharp.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help!

Phil
lyflewis

Post by lyflewis »

I am having the same problem with a Nikon d600. Focus stacking does not move the focus point but just takes the same photo. Any solutions
Lewis