Focus stacking not working

qDslrDashbord error reports
tomate

Re: Focus stacking not working

Post by tomate »

Hi,
is there any solution? I tried now for some hours without success and never thought, it would be so difficult. :shock:

My configuration:
- canon eos 600d, magic lantern installed
- medion tablet with Android 5.1

Greetings, Thomas
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

There is a manual available at: http://dslrdashboard.info/downloads/

You can also find here a very good description regarding the focus stacking workflow from GonzoG: http://dslrdashboard.info/phpBB3/viewto ... f=6&t=1276
tomate

Post by tomate »

Hello hubaiz,

I read the manuel and the description yet. Using both button to remember the position it doesn't scan the saved range. By taking only the first button in combination with the current position the app initiates the calculated shots without any focus-change.

My configuration:
- canon eos 600d, magic lantern installed
- medion tablet with Android 5.1

Greetings, Thomas
GonzoG

Post by GonzoG »

With Canon it is bit different and harder.

There are 2 ways. One with 2 points set and one with one point and a number of photos to be taken.
2 points:
1. Set first point (long press on (1) button)
2. Set second point BUT it is very important to use only one size arrows and number of steps taken to move focus position will be number of photos.
Also you have to use step size (arrow key) that is enough small and enough big for photos to stack them later.
3. Set start and end points, set direction (if not set automatically)
4. Move focus to start point ( 1 or 2 button)
5. Start capture sequence by pressing shutter button in qDD.

1 point set:
1. Set start point (1 for this example)
2. Set step size (small, medium or large)
3. Set number of photos
4. Set start point as no. 1, end point as none, set direction
5. Start capture sequence.
tomate

Post by tomate »

Hi GonzoG,
thanks for answering. I did like your description, saved start- and endposition, saw the calculated number of fotos but it is not possible to cover the whole saved range.
The workflow is quite simple and I'm not untalented (I believe). Is it possible that MagicLantern and qdslrdashboard are in competition?

Greetings, Thomas
GonzoG

Post by GonzoG »

Don't know what ML is doing to original FW so cannot tell you if there is any conflict but it might the issue.

I've tested focus stacking only for about 30 minutes with 6D but it both methods work correctly.
It took 57 photos with 2 points set with small step and 20 with medium step. Both times got whole range. But I've used Tamron 28-75/2.8 lens.
Don't know if the focus movement consistency with Canon is good. On Nikon I had problems with some lenses.
russellsnr

Post by russellsnr »

Hi, Just like to say "I have M/L installed on both 6D and 600D and no problems with QDSLR Dashboard"
Also I find the M/L option for focus stacking a lot easier to use if you go down the rack focus option first and use those settings for the focus stack, there is no working out step size or number of images to take as it does it automaticly from the rack focus settings.
I did mention this before in another post and hubaiz mentioned he would look into the possibility of the rack and stack options being intergrated.
Russ
Pedro2703

Post by Pedro2703 »

Hi,

with my Nikon d700 i have the Problem that in focus stacking the focus will not be changed.

Which setting I have to do, that the cam changes the focus between the to points.

Greetings
Pedro
GonzoG

Post by GonzoG »

For now there is no way to manually control focus in D700. Zoltan is working on that issue.
polo

Post by polo »

Hi Gonzo, do you think is the same issue with Nikon D5100?
Under OpenSuSE Leap linux (after adding the missing package libtbb2) and Windows 7, I am experiencing kind of the same as others have posted here.
I was able to connect the camera (USB cable), get the Lv working, change settings on camera (great tool to see everything at once) and and actually take pictures but:

1) under photo stacking, there is no "buton 1" and "button 2". The buttons of the left simply do not show up at all (I knew they exist by searching on the forum and saw a screenshot different to what I see). So the buttons for closest and farthest focus point, are not there as well as the long-press does nothing (no red focus point number on the frame).

2) if using as first focus point "Current", and then setting for 10 frames, direction infinity, with a 14 focus steps and 5 seconds of delay, the camera takes the photos but I just get images with almost random focus around the "current" point, due to autofocus on camera rather than the indications sent by qDSLRdashboard to the camera.

I have tried setting focus on camera with all "available" combinations of AF-S/AF.C/AF-A and Dynamic/Single point with always the same result.

has somebody experienced this and found a solution?
many thanks