Raspberry Pi Zero W image and installation tutorial

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
cinusek

Raspberry Pi Zero W image and installation tutorial

Post by cinusek »

Hello,

Over a year ago I've made a qDslrDashboard WiFi adapter for my Nikon D90 based on a Raspberry Pi Zero W. I had to compile and install DDServer, then configure WiFi access point, scripts to start the service on boot and all the related stuff.

I was a little bit surprised that I couldn't find a ready-made SD card image. Maybe there is one but I just couldn't find it.
Anyway, I've decided to prepare one myself and here it is, together with information on what parts to buy and how to install everything, full guide:
https://msimonides.github.io/camera-wifi/

I hope it's useful to someone. I've tried to make it as easy as I can for non-technical users (and also for people who have not heard of qDsqlDashboard yet).

Please let me know if you see anything I can improve (any typos, ambiguous sentences etc.).
The guide isn't as polished as I would like it to be, but it's been sitting my disk for over a month now and I've decided that it's better to publish it as is instead of never publishing the perfect version.
Marcin
900i

Re: Raspberry Pi Zero W image and installation tutorial

Post by 900i »

Hi cinusek, thanks for your effort. I used your tutorial to build the project with a Raspberry PI 3 that I had lying around doing nothing. I had it up and running in under 15 mins. Great job thanks again.

I wonder if there is any way to power the Pi from the camera through the USB cable, or from the camera internal battery or the external battery grip?
Turuily

Re: Raspberry Pi Zero W image and installation tutorial

Post by Turuily »

cinusek wrote: 14 Jul 2019, 16:56 Hello,

Over a year ago I've made a qDslrDashboard WiFi adapter for my Nikon D90 based on a Raspberry Pi Zero W. I had to compile and install DDServer, then configure WiFi access point, scripts to start the service on boot and all the related stuff.

I was a little bit surprised that I couldn't find a ready-made SD card image vampire survivors. Maybe there is one but I just couldn't find it.
Anyway, I've decided to prepare one myself and here it is, together with information on what parts to buy and how to install everything, full guide:
https://msimonides.github.io/camera-wifi/

I hope it's useful to someone. I've tried to make it as easy as I can for non-technical users (and also for people who have not heard of qDsqlDashboard yet).

Please let me know if you see anything I can improve (any typos, ambiguous sentences etc.).
The guide isn't as polished as I would like it to be, but it's been sitting my disk for over a month now and I've decided that it's better to publish it as is instead of never publishing the perfect version.
Congratulations on creating a guide for building a qDslrDashboard WiFi adapter! It's great to see people sharing their knowledge and experience with others. I took a look at your guide and it looks very detailed and well-explained. I think it will be very helpful for people who want to create their own adapter. The parts list, step-by-step instructions, and screenshots all make it easy to follow along.