Nikon D850 sudden change in behavior has me stumped

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
SirChaddy

Nikon D850 sudden change in behavior has me stumped

Post by SirChaddy »

I have been using the Nikon D850 with dslrdashboard happily for several years.

I haven't used the connection for a few month and did a shooting session yesterday and suddenly the connection behavior changed. I haven't updated the version of dslrdashboard I'm using nor have I updated the firmware on my camera so I assume that I changed a setting on the camera somewhere but for the life of me I cannot figure it out.

Previously when I was connected to dsldashboard wirelessly I could just happily click away taking as many pictures as I liked and in the background the jpg images would transfer to the dslrdashboard without inter-fearing with the usability of the camera.

However now suddenly after I take a picture or 2 (if I am fast enough) the camera goes in to "PC" transfer mode and won't let me take any more pictures until the transfer is done. When the camera is in PC mode you cannot click the shutter button.

Does anyone know what setting I would have changed to make it go into PC mode to transfer the photo?
iventilation

Re: Nikon D850 sudden change in behavior has me stumped

Post by iventilation »

Check USB settings: Go into your Nikon D850's menu and navigate to the "Setup Menu." In this menu, you should find an option called "Connectivity," then "USB." Make sure the setting is on "MTP/PTP" and not "Mass Storage." The MTP/PTP setting allows for simultaneous camera operation and image transfer, while the Mass Storage setting does not.

Reset your camera settings: If the USB settings seem fine and you're still experiencing the issue, it may be helpful to reset your camera settings. You can do this from the Setup Menu under "Reset All Settings." Be aware, though, that this will return all settings on your camera to their factory defaults, so you may want to note any particular custom settings you've made before doing this.

Check the dslrdashboard settings: There might also be a setting in the dslrdashboard software that is causing the issue. Check the preferences or settings for anything related to transfer mode or PC mode.

Firmware and software updates: Even though you mentioned not having updated the firmware or dslrdashboard, it might be worth checking if there are any updates available. Sometimes, bugs and issues can be resolved with an update.