Nikon D810 with Android tablet

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
Midori

Nikon D810 with Android tablet

Post by Midori »

Is is possible to create wireless tethered connection between Nikon D810 and Android tablet by using standard MR3040 with it's USB port direct wired to D810 USB-3 port? I see this solution being potentially far cheaper than WT-5+UT-1 solution that Nikon has designed into the D810 camera firmware.
cathy

Re: Nikon D810 with Android tablet

Post by cathy »

Hi I use the TP-Link MR-3040 with my Nikon D810 with the USB 3 cable it came with .
Download and install the opewrt firmware onto the mr-3040 router
Midori

Post by Midori »

@ Cathy, Thanks. That sounds brilliant! If it works as well as my D700 + WT-4 combo then perhaps I will do it with the D700 too!
Bobcat1

Post by Bobcat1 »

Let me borrow this thread.

I just tested today my D810 + app combo and I have a question. Why do the downloaded images on tablet appear brighter than they do in camera/on PC?

Best regards,
Bob
Midori

Post by Midori »

I presume the Camera back, the PC Monitor, and the Tablet screen devices each has it's own brightness adjustment. Am I misunderstanding the issue?
GonzoG

Post by GonzoG »

Midori wrote:I presume the Camera back, the PC Monitor, and the Tablet screen devices each has it's own brightness adjustment. Am I misunderstanding the issue?
You're correct.

Also calibration of all those screens influence perceptual brightness but setting correct brightness of screen is key element.
Bobcat1

Post by Bobcat1 »

Not the brightness of the screen.

Image on the app screen is the same as the one which I took from DSLR and manually bumped up the exposure in post. I would like it to be exposed properly on the app screen.
GonzoG

Post by GonzoG »

Are you 100% sure that your PC and tablet screens have been set to the same brightness ??
Display on full screen same grey colour on PC and tablet and put them besides.

Second - check if your tablet's screen is properly calibrated - usually tablets are the worst devices for working with photos. They have much more contrast and colour saturation.
Bobcat1

Post by Bobcat1 »

Thank you for suggesting, but the screens are ok.

I also tried to take lowlight + low power speedlight (+honeycomb) photo. (RAW)

Result;
- On the app on the tablet: the preview shows almost pitch black with properly exposed item I was lighting.
- PC/D810: Photo is black with the squint of light where the item is supposed to be. Only after bumping up the exposure, the photo becomes the same as on app.
GonzoG

Post by GonzoG »

If you are viewing RAWs so you've made an error.
Cannot compare RAWs viewed on camera and non Nikon's software.

On camera you see JPEG developed by camera with Nikon profile with set by you Picture Control settings. And only Nikon has access to those profiles.
Also only Nikon's software can read exact WB setting from RAWs so in qDD photos will not only have different colours but they will be developed with different profiles.

You can compare only JPEGs. Those on calibrated screens should look the same.
I've checked how they look on camera and Nexus 5 - and in terms of brightness and contrast they are almost the same. Also checked histograms and peaks are in same positions (never compare heights because those depend on scale used).