anybody tested Sony A7 camera with qDslr Dashboard?

Open discussion about photography, qDslrDashboard
panoramia

anybody tested Sony A7 camera with qDslr Dashboard?

Post by panoramia »

Hello mates!

I was wondering if anybody tested Sony A7 camera with qDslr Dashboard. I am interested in buying this camera but I can't test it. I would only buy the Sony A7 if it is supported by DSLR dashboard LR Timelapse functions.

Anybody has a Sony A7 and tested it?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Alfonso
Hamish

Re: anybody tested Sony A7 camera with qDslr Dashboard?

Post by Hamish »

I've been trying to get it to work with Sony Alpha 6000 but no luck at the moment, nothing happens when I connect. I'm using the TP-Link and Samsung Galaxy S4 mini. I'll keep trying and update if I get it working.
hubaiz
Site Admin

Post by hubaiz »

Sony camera will not work with TP-Link.
It will only work with the camera built in wireless.
CCD1024

Post by CCD1024 »

Hello

I tested a Sony RX100M3 on iOS qDslrDashboard v 0.25 with internal wifi. Fine.

I will test over this week-end the A7S on iOS v0.25 , OSX and Windows v0.26 with internal wifi.
There is no problem about connection but only on the number of functions avalaible.

On RX100M3 it seems not bad at all.
The main interest for me for the A7s is only to get the LiveView and also the BULB timer...

Cheers
Philippe
DonnyM

Post by DonnyM »

I have a A7s and it works with qDslr using Android. Haven't tried it using windows yet. You do have to use the wireless in the camera. It freezes a bit and just looses connection often even when sitting right next to it. I just fired it up and tried a couple shots. Haven't actually done anything useful yet. You do have to go into the Apps menu on the camera and select the proper app. I forget whats it called I think Smart Remote. You cannot connect using the wireless tab connections on the camera. Has to be the Smart Remote app..
Don't know about the other A7 cameras but the A7s is just wonderful at low light.

Donny
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

Hi again,

1. I downloaded and installed the qDslrDashboard_V0.2.6_Android_ARM (alhough i'm not really sure what the difference is between the x86 version), it's for the Samsung Galaxs S4 Mini.

2. Turned on the Sony Alpha 6000 andstarted the Smart Control embedden function in the camera

3. Connected the phone to the camera's wifi

4. started qDslrDashboard and clicked on the Sony icon

5. selected LV (Live View) to see through the phone and so far it works

Problem: The settings at the bottom of the screen (Shutter, FNumber etc...) can beselected but don't change

Am I do something wrong, did I miss anything
DonnyM

Post by DonnyM »

Is your camera in manual mode? It needs to be to allow for change.

Donny
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

Hi Donny, I have a Sony 6000 so i've started a new thread but yes it was in mode
panoramia

Post by panoramia »

DonnyM wrote:I have a A7s and it works with qDslr using Android. Haven't tried it using windows yet. You do have to use the wireless in the camera. It freezes a bit and just looses connection often even when sitting right next to it. I just fired it up and tried a couple shots. Haven't actually done anything useful yet. You do have to go into the Apps menu on the camera and select the proper app. I forget whats it called I think Smart Remote. You cannot connect using the wireless tab connections on the camera. Has to be the Smart Remote app..
Don't know about the other A7 cameras but the A7s is just wonderful at low light.

Donny
Hi Donny,

I had access to test a Sony A7 yesterday, I tried to use the wiresless tab connection but it didn't work as you mentioned. I thought was the logical way to pair my Android with A7, but it looks like I will have to see my friend again to do that test. I tried the build it app to control Sony A7 from the mobile and it worked great, I could change a lot of things, which could work if LR Timelapse option is not working properly on A7, but I would have to change settings manually.

What are the most important differences between normal A7 and A7s? I want the A7 for timelapses, daylight and transitions, also for night shooting.

Thanks in advance Donny.
Cheers,
Alfonso
DonnyM

Post by DonnyM »

I think the only reason why you would want a A7s over a A7 or A7r is the low noise at high ISO. The a7s is only a 12mp camera. But because of this it allows for low noise. If you shoot primarily at night or low light or with long slow lenses then the a7s is your choice. If you need real large printed pictures then you need megapixels. And the a7s is somewhat limited on that front by today's standards.

Donny